Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Well the cat is out of the bag

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well the cat is out of the bag

Wife and I have been fishing the back of a couple of coves at Caballo (NM) since January. Both coves have rocks dropping off into deeper water. And some brush about 20 ft before the drop off. We have brought home crappie each and every time we have fished. Well Tuesday there was a fishing report out that Caballo was the hot spot for crappie. Today we went and it was crowded. Most people were catching a few. Some from boats and some from shore. Wife and I hit a little point near the dam and caught about 30. All 11 or more inches. We kept 7 as we will have fish for supper with a daughter. We let the others go. We were hoping no one would reveal how good the fishing was/is. But, now the word is out. No big deal though as most people fishing were using bait more suited to large mouths or white bass. 3 inch white grubs and 10/12 lb mono. We were fishing red/yellow 1.5 inch grubs on 2lb line 1/32 ounce jig heads Shhhh don't tell anybody. Well I did show one 8-10 year old how to catch em. Left him with some grubs and heads. He couldn't cast them too far, but far enough to get to the fish. Told him Shhh don't tell any body!!!
    Likes ET Fish, skeetbum, BAMA S, funfishers, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like all of my top secret spots were never a secret to begin with! Good for you helping the kid!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes skeetbum, funfishers, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaAna1 View Post
    Wife and I have been fishing the back of a couple of coves at Caballo (NM) since January. Both coves have rocks dropping off into deeper water. And some brush about 20 ft before the drop off. We have brought home crappie each and every time we have fished. Well Tuesday there was a fishing report out that Caballo was the hot spot for crappie. Today we went and it was crowded. Most people were catching a few. Some from boats and some from shore. Wife and I hit a little point near the dam and caught about 30. All 11 or more inches. We kept 7 as we will have fish for supper with a daughter. We let the others go. We were hoping no one would reveal how good the fishing was/is. But, now the word is out. No big deal though as most people fishing were using bait more suited to large mouths or white bass. 3 inch white grubs and 10/12 lb mono. We were fishing red/yellow 1.5 inch grubs on 2lb line 1/32 ounce jig heads Shhhh don't tell anybody. Well I did show one 8-10 year old how to catch em. Left him with some grubs and heads. He couldn't cast them too far, but far enough to get to the fish. Told him Shhh don't tell any body!!!
    Wow....good deal. I read this thread because I saw Caballo Lake.....I fished below the dam back in 1974 for white bass. Then I see the thread starter is named DonaAna1......LOL. I did 2 years at Bliss back then and did pull some guard duty at Dona Ana Range. Seeing this sure brought back memories.

Regards

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    Seems like all of my top secret spots were never a secret to begin with! Good for you helping the kid!
    X2!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Me too! Saw DonaAna1 and brought back memories of being at DonaAna range camp in 1970-1971. Long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Well now you guys are telling your age 70-71 I was in 8th grade.
    I used to fish Caballo 4-5 times a month back in the mid 80s. Lake was at record high levels back then. Lots of white bass and walleyes. I would only occasionally catch a crappie. Now the lake is at record lows and the crappie are all over the place. I believe the main reason is the irrigation season has been postponed by 2 months. They used to release water end of March. Now water is released end of May. Hard for crappie/bass to spawn on rapidly dropping water.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We used to put stakes in a bed with each stake being a yard apart . Since water was only 5 ft deep (stakes 3 ft below surface ) folks rarely found them . lol then came side image . Now I fish contour lines looking for drift wood piles .You are never wrong helping youth catch fish . May change them forever , never know .
    Last edited by Eagle 1; 04-27-2019 at 10:13 AM.