PDA

View Full Version : Another one broke !

tncrappieman
04-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Last weekend my nephew and i were trout fishing at Dale Hollow Dam. He hooked a small, probably 1/2 pund trout and my BnM Sam Heaton 7 ft broke about 18 inches from the tip. If you saw my post from a week or so ago you know another Sam Heaton broke just above the handle. I really like the feel of these rods but this type of quality is unacceptable to me. Both rods were just over a year old and are never abused. They are transported in a rod holder on camping trips and in a rod rack at home. I do believe i am done with the Sam Heaton Super Sensitives. I will be looking fro replacement rods.

chaunc
04-26-2019, 11:56 AM
I love my six foot sharpshooter from B&M. Would be a good replacement. I've had problems with all of the B&M rods except the sharpshooters and Richard Williams models.

catchNgrease
04-26-2019, 11:59 AM
I am curious what B&M said when you called them.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

healthnspector
04-26-2019, 12:14 PM
I have broken two 11 foot BNM brush cutter rods which I was not happy about. They just snapped. Customer service worked with me on the first one & that was it. I’ve switched to less expensive more durable HT and Tuxedo Black rods. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

SKs Crappie Catching Adventures
04-26-2019, 12:18 PM
I almost started breaking 2 inches off the BGJP's new since most of them break there. After putting a replacement tip eye they are a good rod.....

I've only had a couple break any longer than that.....18" is no bueno.... and as much as they want for the end section you might as well but a new rod.....
The Sam Heaton rod series is to light of action rod for my style of fishn.....
I've been using the new Thump City Crappie Rods the past couple months and am surprised with its light weight the amount of backbone it has.....
With as many BIG crappie that I've flipped in the boat testing it it is passing my test big time.....

chaunc
04-26-2019, 12:22 PM
I almost started breaking 2 inches off the BGJP's new since most of them break there. After putting a replacement tip eye they are a good rod.....

I've only had a couple break any longer than that.....18" is no bueno.... and as much as they want for the end section you might as well but a new rod.....
The Sam Heaton rod series is to light of action rod for my style of fishn.....
I've been using the new Thump City Crappie Rods the past couple months and am surprised with its light weight the amount of backbone it has.....
With as many BIG crappie that I've flipped in the boat testing it it is passing my test big time.....

I use the thump citys too but i thought he was looking for shorter rods.

jawjatek
04-26-2019, 01:06 PM
I have a Denali Pryme 6' light/fast one-piece dock rod coming tomorrow, and it also comes in a 7' light/fast one-piece that should cover the same bases as the SHSS, at a similar price point. I've been impressed with the quality of the 2 Denali Pryme jig poles I already have.

I also love my ACC Crappie Stix, fantastic rods with replaceable tips, I just wish their 5'6" dock shooter rod came in 6 foot.

I have been searching for the perfect dock shooter rod - for me - and am looking forward to trying the Denali out. I also single-pole jig a lot so a rod that does both is a plus.

tahoe 50
04-26-2019, 02:39 PM
I use a ESP 6' rod that Crappie Pappy was talking about a few years ago. I have broken one and replaced it. If it breaks again I will get another one. They are the best shooting rod I have had in my hands. I have the Lews and a sharp shooter. That ESP will best them both.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cane Pole
04-26-2019, 02:58 PM
I can't find a fish big enough to break a pole anymore. MOST my poles are usually broken by my big feet. I did have a 7 ft Sam H break at the handle on a catfish 4-5 years ago. BnM sent me a replacement.

04-26-2019, 03:43 PM
I use the thump citys too but i thought he was looking for shorter rods.

He has a 6' and a 7'6" also.....
I've only used a 8, 10 and 12' though.....

SuperDave336
04-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Are the new rods out? His website has been messed up and I don’t Facebook

Lake Life
04-26-2019, 04:52 PM
I had a 10 ft bgjp break earlier this week. Like SK said, just at the bottom of the orange tip. I've only had this one since February. I can't find my receipt so I dont think they will replace it.

04-26-2019, 06:16 PM
Are the new rods out? His website has been messed up and I don’t Facebook

I haven't talk with him in a couple weeks so not sure.... He has a big order on the way last I talked with him.....

dbowling
04-26-2019, 07:56 PM
one of my Sam Heaton Super sensitive 7` rods broke when I set the hook on a crappie with another rod and hit the tip of the Heaton with the other rod, broke off about 6 inches of the tip.. just repaired it with new tip and actually like it better now.

Lonnie84
04-26-2019, 08:01 PM

I'm sure most of you all have seen the podcast interviews that were recorded in the back room of Grizzly Jigs by the Crappie Connection guys. After watching their videos it is my understanding that most all of what you see in the background is replacement tips for various rods. Just made me realize that more often than not you are going to break your rod, almost as if it is designed that way.

wannabe fisherman
04-27-2019, 01:55 PM
seems to me that IF these rods are as good as a lot of people say they are they wouldn't need so many "REPLACEMENT" parts.

slowhand
04-27-2019, 03:50 PM
seems to me that IF these rods are as good as a lot of people say they are they wouldn't need so many "REPLACEMENT" parts.Perhaps the rods are better than the users. Most rods die from operator error.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

deathb4disco
04-27-2019, 04:18 PM
Perhaps the rods are better than the users. Most rods die from operator error.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! ^^^^^^

If you treat your rods like they’re unbreakable, you will soon be proven wrong.

dbowling
04-27-2019, 04:47 PM
agree mine wouldn't of broke it i hadn't rapped it with the other rod tip. It was my fault for leaving rod sit next to where I was reeling jig in, did a side sweep hook set and busted it..

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! ^^^^^^

If you treat your rods like they’re unbreakable, you will soon be proven wrong.

CrappiePappy
04-27-2019, 05:07 PM
Several years back BnM got a shipment of rods that either had damaged or inferior blanks or they got damaged in shipment (from China). Tips were being easily broken (setting the hook or lifting small fish). The rule of the day, back then, was to contact Jack Wells personally (bypassing the customer service people) and explain the situation & how it happened. In many cases, a new tip or rod was sent to the person. Jack is a long standing member here & a huge sponsor to the site & the sport.

Gbcorley
04-28-2019, 02:17 PM
As CrappiePappy said i would be guessing this has more to do with it. Coming from someone that builds a lot of rods, you can never tell what blank is good or bad when your building it. Most of the time it will snap at the damaged spot on the first hard hookset or with a hard fighting fish. Crappie rods might take longer because most people don't really set the hook hard and the light line giving saves the rod. Most crappie rod blanks have some pretty thin walls to keep the weight down on the longer rods, so the thing that kills them is high sticking the rod flipping a fish in. Doing this over and over will it self damage the blank to a point of its a ticking time bomb on when it will break.

04-28-2019, 03:04 PM
If any of you know how I fish, braid, heavy hook set and flip most fish in the boat....
I'm a long time BnM BGJP user and have caught thousands of fish on them.....
I was totally pleased with the rods although that tip on most of them would break but easily fixed with a replacement eye tip.
They are priced just right and I'll never bash them....

The Thump City Crappie Rods I'm using now are a little more pricey and I've got a couple hundred fish on the 1st one I got and love the rod more on every hook set...

The Thump City Crappie Rods are on a different level than the BnM's, I say this because depending on your budget the BnM BGJP's will get the job done....
Sorta like a Ford Pinto versus a Crown Vic, they'll both get you there but the Crown Vic has the comfort and all the bells and whistles....

GreenLine
04-30-2019, 08:08 AM
Most rods get broken when people step on them or crush them somehow without knowing it. THEN later on a hook set or trying to swing a fish in it snaps in 1/2

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

skeeter96
04-30-2019, 12:06 PM
I've been using ACC CRAPPIE STIX the last two year. Sling all my crappie with them and never broke one yet. Great rod and great customer service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

skeeter96
04-30-2019, 12:15 PM
I have a Denali Pryme 6' light/fast one-piece dock rod coming tomorrow, and it also comes in a 7' light/fast one-piece that should cover the same bases as the SHSS, at a similar price point. I've been impressed with the quality of the 2 Denali Pryme jig poles I already have.

I also love my ACC Crappie Stix, fantastic rods with replaceable tips, I just wish their 5'6" dock shooter rod came in 6 foot.

I have been searching for the perfect dock shooter rod - for me - and am looking forward to trying the Denali out. I also single-pole jig a lot so a rod that does both is a plus.They are working on a 6' and a 6'6" ACC shooter that should be out later this year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)