Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas Needed Mounting Trolling Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas Needed Mounting Trolling Motor

Have a Minn-Kota quick release bracket for my Carolina Skiff. I have the puck mounted, but I can barely reach the bolts on underside of deck to get nuts/washers started. I misjudged and thought I'd have no problem getting my arm to them. I keep dropping the washer/nut because I'm stretched to the max, and I can't see while I'm doing it. Any tricks? Only thing I can think of is rig up an extension to a wrench and maybe put a dab of glue on the washer to hold to nut. Or, find a small child to climb in there! lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get you a metal plate around 1/4 in thick or a little thicker, about 6 inches longer than that mount. Put that mount at the end, drill your holes through the plate to match. On those holes use a drill bit larger than the holes and counter sink them. Get you 4 screws with the countersink heads and run them from bottom up. Mount puck then align entire bracket and drill holes you can reach.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Ha Ha , I used a small child.
    Mando
    Likes JayByrd LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I used a 24” breaker bar to reach the forward bolts on my trolling motor. Used a couple tiny drops of hot glue to hold the but and fender washer in the socket. I had someone with a cordless drill and Phillips head on the top side and once I got the bit in place had them very slowly start to drive the bolt until it caught, then they snugged it up while I held the breaker bad through the tiny hole in the bow.

It only took 20 minutes to get all 8 bolts secured, took me a while to come up with a plan to get to the bolts without making the hole bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

These worked for me..and held up well you can get at academy/amaz/ebay/and shttps://www.trollingmotors.net/products/no-access-bolting-quick-nut

Zman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor freight has needle nose pliers a foot long cheap that works good to reach the bolts

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

My boat has a TM mounting thing welded into the body, so my install was straightforward, but I am using the same QR mount as you. One idea I had was to try the nut-sert or nut rivets, but I don't think those are strong enough to hold a heavy TM in rough water. If you could make a plate and tap/thread the holes, you could put all 4 bolts in the plate and guide it up from the bottom, then use nuts on top.
    Name:  awboat2.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  86.7 KB
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a pair of vice grips taped to a broom handle may be what you need.

Zman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea on the broom handle , I never thought of that good one

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast