Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigs under floats question

Westwood Guest

Default Jigs under floats question

I went out today for the first time actually targeting some crappie. Water is still a bit cold yet in MI though.
    I have some jigs coming but today was running a 1/32 chartruese marbou under a float. I put some extra weight on it though.
    My question is what size jigs do you often use? What kind of floats do you use? I was using a bottom weighted float but I expected to be able to see it but could not obviously dragged down by speed and weight. How long of a leader from the float to the jig. I realize somewhat dictated by the depth of the fish.
    I believe I found the fish in 10-12 foot of water but could not get them to bite. Missed one on an orange swim-n minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

i use 1/16th or 1/32nd jigs under a float,i do use split shots for weight to stand the float up. i do use the smallest float i can get by with. i like the casting floats with the bobber stops i like the thill floats but use the cheaper BPS floats 5 for 2.99 if the fish are in 10-12 ft of water put the jig at 8-9 ft crappie come up to feed not down hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio Way

Here in Ohio I use 1/48 oz. heads with a small orange ice bobber.
    The maximum size will be a 1/32 oz. with the next largest size ice bobber.
    This is for plastic presentations, I rarely use minnows but if I have to I use the standard old slip cork with split shot and a slip bobber, Lord I pray I don't have to do that this year though...lol :D
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Well,,,,, just what part of Michigan you from Westwood?

I was out today too and did nothing.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Westwood, there are so many variables to what size jig, how deep, that we could talk about it all night but basically you start with how are you going to be fishing...drifting,anchored then decide what depth you are going to target....like 10-15ft. deep or 2-6 ft. ....if you're drifting, I usually use a little heavier jig to keep the line a little more verticle...I also use a little heavier jig if I'm fishing deeper water...but a good place to start would be a 1/16 oz. jig and go from there..just my opinion
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Westwood
    I went out today for the first time actually targeting some crappie. Water is still a bit cold yet in MI though.
    I have some jigs coming but today was running a 1/32 chartruese marbou under a float. I put some extra weight on it though.
    My question is what size jigs do you often use? What kind of floats do you use? I was using a bottom weighted float but I expected to be able to see it but could not obviously dragged down by speed and weight. How long of a leader from the float to the jig. I realize somewhat dictated by the depth of the fish.
    I believe I found the fish in 10-12 foot of water but could not get them to bite. Missed one on an orange swim-n minnow.
    Fishing that deep in a boat drifting or anchored I'd lose the bobber and cast a 16th or 8th with a 2 inch kalins or 1 inch berkley power tube or 1.5 inch tube in that cold water. You want small baits in cold water.

Are you using a finder? If so and your marking fish, drop the lure past them and veeerryy slowly raise the jig past or through them going up. They will hit on the drip or slow rise. This time of year you should find them schooling before the spawn, feeding. Once you locate fish, anchor and experiment with depths under a float with different jigs.

Sometimes they just have to have a stationary bait this time of year and you'll have to use a float. Under the floats 32nd's are fine and you shouldn't need more weight. Your lake is probably clear and the more junk on your line the more you can spook them when they are schooled.

What lb test are you using?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Default floats

I use to fish small floats alot. I fished thill mini stealth(ms-2 1/32oz) on a long pole (12'). It lets you present a slow falling lure and should give you confidance for light bites as a 1-2" fishes bit will easily show up. Also you can watch and count if you will how long it takes for your jig to get down and make your float stand up. If it doesnt standup in time you give it a pop to see if you have a fish on. The float is fixed through an eye and surgical tubing, to agjust the depth you just grab the line and slide the float. Small floats in deep water can sometimes go under a little with wind/waves. Also for fish on the top, the float is small enough to not spook them at all, many a time ive had fish hit the float and not the lure. They make floats for diff sizes. Another thing to keep in mind is the longer the line from float to jig and then closer float to rod tip, the worse it will cast and easier it will tangle. Nothing matches the sensitivity though. When I teach people to fish them the #1 problem is they want to have almost no slack between the pole and float and that is dead wrong. You have a long pole so taking up slack is not a problem. You want slack and to drop the line to the water so you get less drifting and your movements on semitaught line dont fake you out into thinking you have a bite. I normally drop the rod and point it tward the float with atleast 2' of slack on the water, usually more.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Westwood Guest

Default RE: Floats

I am in Newaygo County West Michigan.

The lake is not really clear (it is semi clear now) but once the water temp gets a little warmer the bloom is on big time and it remains cloudy throughout the year. Lots of weeds that are already coming up.

I am using 6 lb test or sometimes 10 with a 6 lb leader especially if I am trolling twister tails. I was using a thill bobber with the rubber sleeve like I use for steelhead seemed to be okay. I was kind of on a scouting mission today so I was likely going to fast with the electric plus it was a bit windy and boat control was an issue. Next time I will go off the point where I was and drift through the same slot. Fish finder died half way through my tour.
    Fished seemed to be 4 foot down in 10-12 foot of water.

What temps should I look for them shallow? 50 degrees? Will they be there during the day? Current temp was onlye 42 degrees slightly lower with no warmer water like I was able to find 2 weeks ago.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I saw this idea under the ideas we should keep forum. KCBH from Kansas City Mo. Posted this “HAVE YOU EVER USED THIS FOR CRAPPIE?” It is in the archives under stuff we don’t want to lose. I made me some and they work exceptionally well.

You take a wooden bobber and drill three holes. One on the top and two across from each other on the bottom sides.(See picture) Then insert a "BB" size slip shot in each hole. If you use a smaller drill bit than the BB slip shot they will fit snug, but I use a larger bit and just cover them with a glue to seal them in.

Then you remove the spring clip that holds the line and buy some fuel line (From a hobby store that sell RC cars/planes.) Slide the rubber fuel line over the shaft, insert fishing line in the slot, then push fuel line up to hold it in place. Now you can adust your line depth by just pulling more line away from the bobber.

Now here is the real key to this ... your jig head has to weight less than 1/64 oz. Because if you don't the bobber will stand up. If you use the correct weighted jig head the bobber will lay flat. Now all the crappie has to do it put as little as 1/64oz of pressure on the jig to make the bobber stand up. Keep your line snug and just give it a pop and it will set the hook. Now if you are fishing deep (5' to 6') you will have to raise you rod tip up as far as you can reach to set the hook.

I always use 2 lb to 4 lb line on a spinning reel with a 6' rod.

The weighted bobber will give you great casting distance, even in the wind.
    The split shot on the top is counter balancing the weight of the jig and the line. The two split shots on the side act as the pivot point. If the weight of the line and the jig (that is hanging under the bobber) is more than the weight of the top spilt shot then the bobber's main shaft will try to point vertical or maybe a 45 degree angle. What I would do if I were you I would start with a 1/64 oz jig head and work my way up from there.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a great idea for float fishin, thats what I love about this site people are willing to share ideas to help fisherman out!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast