Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 2 man rubber raft and the beaver

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 man rubber raft and the beaver

Three years ago I was fishing lake Kyle on Fort Campbell for Crappie and Bass in my yellow two man Walmart rubber raft. The evening bite had just started and I quickly filled my stringer with a few nice slabs for dinner that night. I noticed two beavers that lived on the lake and thought nothing of them as I continued to fish. I noticed a nice tree that had half of it's roots hanging off the bank into the water and thought to my self that it would be a nice ambush spot for a bass so I quickly ok maybe not quickly but I rowed the raft over and dropped a minnow under a float next to the tree roots. Unfortionatley I got hung up on something and had to move in to unsnag myself. I noticed my minnow was still on the hook and hung up on a branch that had been nawed on in the water. since I couldnt free my hook I reached in with my arm elbow deep in the water and right when I got the hook in my hand I found out that not only was it a good ambush spot for a bass but the entrance to a beaver lodge. I could see the beaver coming out in slow motion but still couldnt move my hand fast enough. The good sized beaver came right up to my hand and HOLY .....@$%#..... I didnt get bit but I swear I could have pulled a skier behind my raft I was going so fast. After My heart stopped pounding threw my ribcage I continued to fish and did quite well. I still think back and laugh at the beaver and thank him for not bitting me. SMITTY 58D

Post Thanks / Like

Default short fishing trip

last year i went fishing with a buddy at the hatchy bottoms and he just got a new but used motor. keep in mind we only had one paddle and no trolling motor. the current was going pretty fast , so as soon as we start up the motor were about 100yrds from the dock buy now,not going anywhere. his new motor wasn't wirth a flip so he gets pissed and starts beating his motor with the paddle. of curse im laughing my tail off which maid him madder! so we make it to the bank and there he goes smashing his motor into a tree over & over again, im still laughing at him ! to make it short HE had to wade up stream pulling me and his boat .

Post Thanks / Like

I just barly nudged my kill switch to the point it didnt move but 1 millionth of a milameter but it sure was enough to keep my motor from firing up. to make maters worse my trolling motor battery died from exaustion so I was dead in the water. I forgot the tool kit (huge ) mistake otherwise I would have switched batteries. bent my needle nose pliers trying to switch the batteries which didnt work. So here I am walking my boat along the shore going over tire sized rocks having the time of my life when I get the bright idea to take a rock to the battery to free up the wingnut. It worked but I ended up getting a weird look from the guy at advanced auto parts when I traded in the beat up battery for a new one. I contacted my local boat shop and the guy told me to reset the kill switch and bam engine was running like a champ. After a few 4 letter words I thought to myself what would I rather do spend hundreds fixing my motor or walk about a half mile with my boat and have nothing wrong with it. SMITTY 58D

Post Thanks / Like

you got lucky on that one ! sounds like problems i have had at work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMITTY 58D
    Three years ago I was fishing lake Kyle on Fort Campbell for Crappie and Bass in my yellow two man Walmart rubber raft. The evening bite had just started and I quickly filled my stringer with a few nice slabs for dinner that night. I noticed two beavers that lived on the lake and thought nothing of them as I continued to fish. I noticed a nice tree that had half of it's roots hanging off the bank into the water and thought to my self that it would be a nice ambush spot for a bass so I quickly ok maybe not quickly but I rowed the raft over and dropped a minnow under a float next to the tree roots. Unfortionatley I got hung up on something and had to move in to unsnag myself. I noticed my minnow was still on the hook and hung up on a branch that had been nawed on in the water. since I couldnt free my hook I reached in with my arm elbow deep in the water and right when I got the hook in my hand I found out that not only was it a good ambush spot for a bass but the entrance to a beaver lodge. I could see the beaver coming out in slow motion but still couldnt move my hand fast enough. The good sized beaver came right up to my hand and HOLY .....@$%#..... I didnt get bit but I swear I could have pulled a skier behind my raft I was going so fast. After My heart stopped pounding threw my ribcage I continued to fish and did quite well. I still think back and laugh at the beaver and thank him for not bitting me. SMITTY 58D
    LOL. That's good. I would like to have seen that. I bet you came across the water looking like this. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Ya it was quite the seen, I tell you what though I think I've caught more fish out of that rubber raft then I have in my Bass Tracker.