Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What retrieve(s) do you use for light jighead lures

Post Thanks / Like

Default What retrieve(s) do you use for light jighead lures

What retrieve(s) do you use for light jighead lures whether on bottom or mid-depth?
    What line type and # test? (mono, braid, fc)

Post Thanks / Like

Slow, steady “do nothing” retrieve popularized by Charlie Brewer over fifty years ago.

2-4# mono.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the day, the depth, where the fish are at in the water column, and how they are reacting.

I only use mono coupled with a barrel swivel, 2 feet of leader, and attach it to the jig size depending on the day. Some days the fish want a slow and steady retrieve. Other days you pop it. Other days you jig, jig, pause. Sometimes they follow it an hammer it on the drop. Other days they want it moving.

Ever fish in a boat and one guy is killing them while another is barely catching anything? Look at what that person is doing while retrieving and mimick it. Oftentimes it is a suttle difference that they are doing.

When tournament fishing, me and my partners always talk about our cadence or our retrieve. Especially if one person is catching or has caught more fish. It is a brain function recommendation. Did this two weeks ago walleye fishing where one guy was catching all the fish. After a few, he said "I'm jigging just like this", after that, both started catching the same amounts.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Noodle rod, hdhntr, Techno2000, skeetbum LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mostly a slow steady retrieve ... rod at 10:00 o'clock position ... slight bow in line ... eyes on line for any movement I didn't cause. Line is 6lb test Vicious hi-vis ... jigs are normally 1/16oz and on rare occasions 1/32oz.

I will, on occasion, lightly "pop" the jig a couple of times during the retrieve, especially if I've been catching fish from a spot on the slow/steady retrieve & the bite stops. Every now & then that little "pop pop" will entice another fish or two to hit the jig.

If the line stops coming towards me, I assume it's dangling over a limb/obstruction ... I'll reel until I feel the jig come in contact with it, then drop the rod tip about 6" and raise it back up 12", which usually bounces the jig over the obstruction. I'll let it free fall until the line is once again slightly bowed, then continue retrieving ... BUT, I will be on high alert for a line "tic" or for the line to stay or go slack (knowing the jig cannot be on the bottom), and will set the hook immediately. Many times I've had a fish hit the jig after bouncing it over a limb/obstruction. I anticipate that happening whenever I do have to bounce the jig over something.
    Likes hdhntr, Smoltz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use nothing but the "Twitch" method. I am constantly twitching the rod tip...using several types of cadence depending on specie. It's worked great for me. I use polyester line and mono line as well...usually from 2# test up to 2.5# test. But those are the true line ratings. Most US marketed break way over the stated rating. The lines I use have a diameter from .105mm to .125mm.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't mention what a light jig is to you. Some guys an 1/8 oz. is light others 1/80 oz. is light. No matter what retrieve you use let the fish dictate what retrieve they want for that day. One retreive may work on Monday and Tuesday it won't work. Wiggle, jiggle, hop or skip, pumping, or a steady retrieve all work.
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Mostly a slow steady retrieve ... rod at 10:00 o'clock position ... slight bow in line ... eyes on line for any movement I didn't cause. Line is 6lb test Vicious hi-vis ... jigs are normally 1/16oz and on rare occasions 1/32oz.

I will, on occasion, lightly "pop" the jig a couple of times during the retrieve, especially if I've been catching fish from a spot on the slow/steady retrieve & the bite stops. Every now & then that little "pop pop" will entice another fish or two to hit the jig.

If the line stops coming towards me, I assume it's dangling over a limb/obstruction ... I'll reel until I feel the jig come in contact with it, then drop the rod tip about 6" and raise it back up 12", which usually bounces the jig over the obstruction. I'll let it free fall until the line is once again slightly bowed, then continue retrieving ... BUT, I will be on high alert for a line "tic" or for the line to stay or go slack (knowing the jig cannot be on the bottom), and will set the hook immediately. Many times I've had a fish hit the jig after bouncing it over a limb/obstruction. I anticipate that happening whenever I do have to bounce the jig over something.
    Well said, "be the jig ".

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use what I call the “heart beat retrieve “
    Picture how it looks ..
    A fairly steady line with the pulse in it
    Make your jig do that and the crappie will have a heart attack trying to get it !

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle rod View Post
    Well said, "be the jig ".

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Indeed !! I've written about doing that maneuver, and called it "bowing to the jig". Dropping the jig 6" & raising it 12" is done in "one smooth motion" being the key to making the jig bounce over the obstacle. It's definitely saved me many a jig, and caught me a few fish in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Also watch for a sudden, slight increase in the bow of you line. Sometimes crappie with charge straight at your jig from behind.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast