HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Truman Dam rod recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truman Dam rod recommendations

I have been to the dam several times on the current side and think its time to upgrade to a longer rod. I have been able to do alright with my 6'6" rod but feel it might be time to go to a little longer rod to be able to cast just a little farther. It can get aggravating standing next to someone and have identical jigs on and they are realing them in every cast about and I am just not getting the hits and the only real difference is they are casting farther out there.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try a heavier weight, drop down line strength, or try both first.. those two can affect how far your bait goes out. 6'6" is pretty damn big for some panfish. You might also be having problems with depth, try and let your jig sink 5+ seconds before reeling.

Post Thanks / Like

Assassin makes some good points, there is alot of small thing u can do to change ur casting distance, light small diameter line, heavier or more aerodynamic jigs, making sure u have a full spool of line. But I also can tell a big difference in the rod itself, I love my 7 foot rod with small diameter guides. Extra length gets more tip speed which equals distance but smaller guides actually straitened the loops in ur line faster and cause less drag through ur guides. I hope this helps and I'm not just rambling
    give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
    Thanks wolfhnd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I am down to new 4lb test with a full spool of new line. Using 1/8 oz double jig set up but can up-size the head size.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what you do to lengthen your casts:

Find a tree or a stump that is further than you can possibly cast, and throw at that. Fer sure you will cast further than you ever have before and land in it.

Works for me!

Likes wolfhnd, got crappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Also, your rod guides is a big factor, most of the good ones are ceramic or designed for smooth casting. If your guides are still metal, you're going to have lots of friction when casting.

4lb line with 1/8 oz jig head should be more than enough to get you out far.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is the further you cast the more drag the current puts on your line. This has two negative effects. You lose depth and the jig moves to fast. I have had good luck casting a bobber in heavy current for white bass but crappie are a different matter. A floating jig and a slip weight may work but I have never tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    Here's what you do to lengthen your casts:

Find a tree or a stump that is further than you can possibly cast, and throw at that. Fer sure you will cast further than you ever have before and land in it.

Works for me!
    This is so true and so funny. Thanks for the laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app