Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any "Boat Tappers" Out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any "Boat Tappers" Out there?

Here on Clarks Hill, I've noticed at least two striper/hybrid guides anchor down over fish, put out downlines and begin tapping the bottom of the boat with a broomstick or something similar. A light tapping with a steady cadence. One told me that fish are naturally curious and will come to see what is making the sound. He'll see them show up on this depthfinder and then the fish will notice his live baits and often attack them. I started thinking that, if true, this should work for crappie also. Anybody here ever try it? Anybody do it regularly? I'm going to try several nights of fishing later this week, and I'm contemplating bringing along a "tapper":D to see if I can get the crappies' attention!
    Remember....Good Things Come to Those Who Bait......

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about it, but try the search function with
    "Rango thumping", you should get some info
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

i use simular i tap the rod with my finger when jiging straight down. give's the jig slight movement in the same spot. tried it in a swimming pool and liked the action it gave the jig, it does work

Post Thanks / Like

Striper guides do the same thing around here. Try it and let us know how it works. I've never thought about trying it.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the guides for striper do it here also, never tried it for crappie.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A guy from Augusta, Ga. that posts on GON forums says he splashes the top of the water sometimes while hybrid/striper fishing. Says it simulates fish feeding on shad on the top of the water. Says it works for him.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it is worth I had a striper fisherman tell me this a couple of weeks ago. He said a DNR worker told him when they go to feed the fish in the hatchery they tap on a pipe or the side of the tank or whatever. This becomes a signal to them that food is coming so it is programmed into them. There is a guy on the SC board named Thumper, he is a firm believer in this method.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if it works, but probably 25 yrs. ago or so I went with a friend and his dad to the hill it was cold and I mean cold we were fishing real deep water around modoc, there were 10 to 15 boats in same area crappie fishing with medium minnows and everyone was tapping the bottom of the boat with there boat paddles we did catch 4 or 5 crappie in 2# range. But I fished with dad you better have been quite and I mean quite or you would be back at the campsite. that just brought back good old time memories. later

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

ANYONE TAPPING ON MY BOAT WHILE CRAPPIE FISHING IS SUBJECT TO A TAP ON THE HEAD WITH A BOAT PADDLE! I think sitting over brushpiles jig fishing that being quite helps . We fish shallow a lot compared to most as Nimrod has little deep water.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

once the striper move from the river and back down the lake at wateree we have some guys that do it religiously. i do it some and ive caught plenty of fish while thumpin. thumper, on our board, will have you shaking your head in wonder at the fish he catches and he catches em all while thumping. if you get a chance to fish close to him, hell have you pulling your hair out before the day is over.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...