Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cool Tip....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool Tip....

May edition of Outdoor Life magazine has a neat little tip for keeping tabs on the school once you find 'em. We all know how crappie never stay in one spot for too long.

When you catch one that isn't big enough to keep, tie a ten or fifteen foot piece of string to it's lip through the hole left by the hook. Tie the other end to a half-inflated balloon. put the little guy back in the water and let him return to the school.

Where the school goes, so will the balloon, making it easy to track the school.

When you get ready to call it a day, retrieve the balloon and remove the string from the fish's mouth and release it.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's illegal up here in PA. I've seen a guy cut his line with a small crappie still hooked and followed the bobber around. When i told him that wasn't legal, he said he'd just tell the warden " the fish broke his line ". Dont see the sport in that. If it's legal in your state, go for it.
    Likes natureboy LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink It's been discussed ....

and debated, before :p Use the Search feature (Advanced Search) and do your search for "balloon" ... this is what you come up with :

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/search...earchid=301972

........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't anything in the "Angling Regulations" book that NY DEC provides with licenses... I guess a call to the local DEC Officer might tell me if it's legal in NY.

I think it would be a big help on the small lakes/ponds where I fish for crappie. There isn't any wood or other heavy cover, just shallow and deep, weeds and no weeds... and the bass and pike tend to rule the weedbeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the balloon is legal on Kentucky Lake?

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of that before, but I've never tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good way to catch a ticket to me. Kind of like tying a drake and a hen in a duck blind to call them in. Our rules read the fish must be returned UNHARMED, immediately. I mean if you have to stay with a jug while fishing so you can make a quick catch, I don't think they are going to approve of this balloon thing. I would spend my money on a good locator and learn to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IwishIdid
    Sounds like a good way to catch a ticket to me. Kind of like tying a drake and a hen in a duck blind to call them in. Our rules read the fish must be returned UNHARMED, immediately. I mean if you have to stay with a jug while fishing so you can make a quick catch, I don't think they are going to approve of this balloon thing. I would spend my money on a good locator and learn to use it.
    You are right about releasing short fish. But what if you use a legal keeper?? Don't say nothin bout you can't use a "floating" stringer does it??
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

Now THERE'S some creative thinking! "Floating stringer". I like the way that sounds. Don't use a little one, use a keeper and put him on your floating stringer lol.

Wonder what the game warden would say to "I'm keeping him officer, I just want him to stay real fresh, so I put him on my floating stringer". so long as it doesn't put you over your creel limit, I'd think it might work.

Post Thanks / Like

My luck if I used a little dink, he would get swallowed by a big bass or something...hmm, that has possibilities. But as stated on the other thread I think, something like a plastic cup would look less suspicious than a baloon or bobber. Other fishermen may see the bobber and beat you to the punch so to speak whereas most folks ignore a cup floating around.

Edit: I looked through the TWRA fishing regulations and there isn't anything I could find that says you can't do this. Littering IS illegal though, so as long as you get whatever is floating back out of the water you should be fine.
    I love the floating stringer. That's hilarious.
    Last edited by superdave1984; 04-18-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast