Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Catfish & setting hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catfish & setting hook.

I'm new to catfishing and I had a bunch of them on the line but they are getting off shortly after. I'm using fresh cut shad with a #2 trebble. The set up is a teardrop weight at the bottom going up 1½ft to a swivel barrel with 6in of line then the trebble hook. About 2 feet above the swivel is a very small float to keep my hook from going between rocks at the bottom and getting hung.
    He that does the truth comes into the light
    Free the people through music!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default cat

I would use a 2/0 octupus style hook,eagle claw,owner,gama rigged carolina style,egg shaped sinker about 18" from hook above swivel.Use just enough weight to keep bait on bottom,usually 2oz or less.When you have a bite let the fish run with the bait several feet,10-15 and set the hook,PRESTO!

Post Thanks / Like

Default cat

I would use a 2/0 octupus style hook,eagle claw,owner,gama rigged carolina style,egg shaped sinker about 18" from hook above swivel.Use just enough weight to keep bait on bottom,usually 2oz or less.When you have a bite let the fish run with the bait several feet,10-15 and set the hook,PRESTO!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks coosa. Do I set the drag loose or the reverse reel switch to let it run?

Post Thanks / Like

what i do is lock my reel down and put it in rod holder. then i pull out about 2 foot of line off spool and let it just be loose so they can run 2ft. (some people put floats on there line and pull the line down 2 ft). When i get a good run that 2ft is enough for him to take off then my ugly stick rods hook them and about all i do it pick it up set hook better and reel. i like using khale hooks 3/0-5/0 for channel catfish 8/0-10/0 for big blues and flatheads.

Post Thanks / Like

i use circles and khales in sizes 4/0-7/0.i have had good luck on the circles and just started using them this year. dont set the hook,when your clicker(assuming your using a baitcaster) starts screamin' just pick up the rod and just jerk a little(do not set the hook) then just reel em in.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a spincast. When I changed over to the circle hooks I caught one. That's what I did when it started swimmin' with it was jerk it a little and landed it!

BigBobber Guest

The best way to get you a catfish is when he hits let him run with it,

Post Thanks / Like

I like using 6/0 Lazer Sharp Kahle hooks on a slip bobber rig. They usually just hook themselves and almost take the pole in the water. I think they work better in lakes than circle hooks, because circle hooks are best in current where the cats don't have as much time to just pick at the bait.
    If you've got fishin' fever, I've got the fishin' PLAGUE!