Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wally Marshall Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wally Marshall Rods

What are the differences in the "Pro Series" and "Universal" rods? I see that one is IM-6 and the other is IM-8, which would have better feel. Additionally I like a rod with a good backbone and sensitive, which would be my best choice. All comments will be appreciated, you to Wally

Post Thanks / Like

Catchafew, i like the universal because it had a good backbone and is very sensitive and its also light action. If you want an ultralight i would suggest the wally marshall mighty light but i just stick to the universals for casting, vertical jigging, and trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

Wally's Pro Series, hands down. IM8, sensitive tip, heavy backbone. Best value out there.
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Pro series!! Cork handles, counterbalances, IM8 rod

Cork handles are worth the price difference alone, much less the ability to balance the rod and a better rod blank.

I own a couple of each rod length, but the 8' rods are my personal favorite. If you are looking for something to cast a jig with though, a Bass Pro Tourney Special rod medium light 6'6" with a Shimano Solstace 1000RH reel is "smooth like butter". The rod is light enough to feel the nibbles while being strong enough for the occasional thug and the reel is simply fantastic.
    Last edited by Mopar Matt; 04-16-2007 at 10:00 PM.

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

New Rod that is Great, I caught a 20# Northern Pike on it last year and had the biggest surprise on how good the rod worked.
    It's called the Sore Lip Series SLS 150
    6'6" 2 Piece Light-Line Rod
    (SLS-150)
    The Sore Lip Series rod was designed to cast further, feel more subtle hits, and fight larger fish while using light line. The SLS-150 has been crafted with many fine details specific to making it an amazing light-line rod.

This light rod has a fast tip that helps in casting, jigging, and simply setting the hook more efficiently. The SLS-150 rods have caught thousands of Fish without breaking or weakening.

SLS 15 Features Include

• extra long cork handle for
    superior two handed casting

• high quality, ligth weight
    IM6 graphite with stiff action

• extra large stripper guide
    for casting further

• 7 titanium inserted guides
    for smoother casting

Great price also.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 6'6" Pro Series for casting and I just bought an 8 foot Wally Marshall Jig Pole for wade fishing. I really like both of them.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Pro series, mainly the handle differences. As stated above, cork instead of foam and the weight kit.
    www.varsitymrtg.com the #1 source for Fisherman's home financing.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wally's, no question about it.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

IM8 is a higher modulus graphite than IM6. That means that in the same space or less there are more fibers transmitting vibrations to your hands. The higher modulus blanks are also more rigid, but still have plenty of flex when under the load of a fish or casting. I'm a fan of the sensitivity of IM7 and above, and also the rigidity gives you more ability to set hooks quickly compared to the slower action rods that are more floppy. I have been trying the longer rods, and they allow me to reach a jig further away, but its way harder to make quick hooksets and they don't cast jigs any further than my 6-7 foot rods, in fact my shorter rods cast further.

They have IM6 - IM10 rods now. I feel a significant difference between IM6 ans IM7, but after that they are closer in sensitivity and speed.

Something to be careful of though is high modulus blanks tend to snap easier if they are not built well. If you buy lower cost, high modulus rods your going to have more rod breakage. Most breakage besides getting slammed in a door is from poor manufacturing or travel damage that causes a rod to snap when under strain. Its a good idea to take better care of the higher modulus rods so the blanks don't get scratched or gouged.

One more difference I think is that the universal rods have smaller guides like a casting rod and I believe the IM8 has standard sized spinning guides.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 04-17-2007 at 01:40 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

i've one of the WM pro series in 9', and I will guarantee that it catches more fish than any other rod on my boat while trolling. I don't know why, or how, but it has a 2:1 catch ratio while trolling.

While jiging, I can feel every bump even with 6lb. test line. I set the hook on these slight bumps, and bring em in the boat! Most of my other poles won't feel near as much.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast