Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Loop Knot Or Snap Swivel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loop Knot Or Snap Swivel

In Bill Dance's Crappie book, he recommends attaching the jig to the line by using either a loop knot of a snap swivel. He says it lets the jig have more movement & therefore the jig is much more attractive to the fish. I'd like to hear from anyone who uses either of these methods. If you use a snap swivel, I'd like to know what size to use for a 1/16 oz and a 1/8 oz jig. If you use a loop knot, I'd like to know how to tie it.

Thanks

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

There are many different loop knots but the one I think you want is this one:

http://www.reelfoot.com/duncan_loop.htm

I saw the Bill Dance Crappie Fishing Video and he said to use the loop knot in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugaloo
    In Bill Dance's Crappie book, he recommends attaching the jig to the line by using either a loop knot of a snap swivel. He says it lets the jig have more movement & therefore the jig is much more attractive to the fish. I'd like to hear from anyone who uses either of these methods. If you use a snap swivel, I'd like to know what size to use for a 1/16 oz and a 1/8 oz jig. If you use a loop knot, I'd like to know how to tie it.

Thanks

Tugaloo
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I started using fly snaps last year, they are real small, gives the jig same action as loop knot and it's easy to change jigs like a snap swivel.

Post Thanks / Like

I have trouble tying some of the small line, so I have started using no-knot fas-snap. Bass Pro has them in the fly rod section and Cabela's also carries them. They allow the lure to swing freely and I see no differnce in catch rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loop Knot

Tugaloo,
    I saw the same Bill Dance video Moose is speaking of and started tying the loop knots. At first I was sceptical because out of the water the jig hangs down in an unnatural position. So I tied a couple of jigs on and put them in a 5 gallon bucket of water and they floated just right. (At least the tube jigs did) Since then I have started using the smallest snap swivel I can find. It allows me to change baits faster and works as well as the loop knot.
    Our water is very stained down here in LA and the snap is not visible to the fish.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Size 12

We usually use a size 12 snap swivel for our crappie baits. It allows for free movement and quick change if they don't like what you like when you start fishing .

I use a larger version on my bass rig when I'm using tubes, but not surface baits since it can mess up the balance of the bait. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern