Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is it over?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it over?

Well due to the circumstances and weather I have not been out as much as I would like. I went fri for awhile and left with about 16 keepers. Some of the fish still had eggs and they were mostly females. I think I only had 2 or 3 males. I caught the fish in about 6-8ft of water about 4ft deep.

So should i say the fish are still spawning because I caught most females near the bank?

Also how long does it take for the fry to hatch and how long will the males stay with the fry.

What do you all think this weather has done to the spwan/fishing. I think it may have extended it because the water is back down to the low 60's?

Well
    Yall be blessed
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to guess i'd say the cold we've had here has pushed back the spawn a tad. Since it seems that they've taken back out to deeper water and not as accessible as they were 2 weeks ago. It was down to 39 again last night, but according to the weather it's supposed to start warming up again so hopefully it'll bring them back up closer to the banks.

Post Thanks / Like

But what will that do to the egg carrying females? Anything?

My success in life is measured by the number of
    hunting and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Pappy, Morris, other vets

Hey can some of you vets that have fished these conditions before answer the question Is it over. Or the effects the weather has on this years spawn.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Mighty, Crappie Camp is going right now and those boys are extemely busy. They have clients to take care of and are hosting camp for about 30 to 40 people. give them some time and they will chime in.

Its not over here in Arkansas yet. The bigger lakes cooled down quite a bit in the last week. It pushed them out a little deeper like you have found. BTW good job. Things are warming up some so hold on. I have been fishing Reelfoot, two weeks ago the water temp. was 68...where I was...yesterday it was 50 at 6am by 6pm it was 53.

I think some of the fish spawned a few weeks ago but not a mass spawning.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    Hey can some of you vets that have fished these conditions before answer the question Is it over. Or the effects the weather has on this years spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on up north to upstate NY.... We're still getting snow, so the spawn ain't over yet... I doubt it's even started.

We've been asking "Is it over?", but we're talking about winter!