HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Largest Boat for 12V Trolling Motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Largest Boat for 12V Trolling Motor?

I am considering selling my 17 ft bass boat and going to an 18 or 19 ft. I have a 12V 55 lb Minn-Kota Riptide I-Pilot on it and it does great. Could I use it on a 18-19 ft bass boat with a 150hp?
    I primarily longline and have done so all day with my 17 ft Javelin with a 31 series AGM with no issues, and can get up to 2ish mph (dependent on conditions). My hull weight is @ 1000 lbs with a 90hp Johnson. I assume I could parallel 2 batteries for longer run time?
    Thanks Central Minn thanked you for this post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think you would want to go to 2 batteries for sure and I’d give it a try at least. If you went 24 you would still have to buy another battery.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My thought is that the wind will be the deciding factor. I run an 18’ Bumble Bee with a 70lb and I’m still trolling when most have gone home, so it does well in the wind. I have run over 6 hours non stop and still been holding speed ina 10 mph wind that was gusting more. Hope it works out for you.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    My thought is that the wind will be the deciding factor. I run an 18’ Bumble Bee with a 70lb and I’m still trolling when most have gone home, so it does well in the wind. I have run over 6 hours non stop and still been holding speed ina 10 mph wind that was gusting more. Hope it works out for you.
    Got to agree wind and or current will be Major!!! factor

Post Thanks / Like

use a 55# Xi5 on my 18 ft pontoon and have been out 7-8 hrs working banks/tree tops and with anchor mode on in 10-15 mph wind and never run battery down yet..Battery is new 29 series also.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you’ll be much happier with a 24V in the long run
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ He said Largest Boat for 12V Trolling Motor?Largest Boat for 12V Trolling Motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!

Post Thanks / Like

I should have included my reasoning. I've seen this question asked before and it's usually because they don't want to spend the extra money on a 24v.

I 100% agree a 24 volt would definitely be the better option, but I also have a 16ft Carolina Skiff that I fish smaller water with. Won't use a troller much on the skiff, but we have a killer state park nearby and our hunting club has a 10 acre pond that I fish in occasionally. I was thinking of getting another quick release bracket so I could swap back and forth. Want to keep my skiff light and as clutter free as possible so don't want to go 2 batteries in it.
    If I end up with a bigger glass boat, I suppose I could try it and see, and then upgrade if it's not up to task. Hey, it would give me a reason to get one of those fancy Ulterras!!

Post Thanks / Like

It would work but very marginally. Wind comes up and likely be unsuitable. Get the Ulterra 24v.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skintback View Post
    I should have included my reasoning. I've seen this question asked before and it's usually because they don't want to spend the extra money on a 24v.

I 100% agree a 24 volt would definitely be the better option, but I also have a 16ft Carolina Skiff that I fish smaller water with. Won't use a troller much on the skiff, but we have a killer state park nearby and our hunting club has a 10 acre pond that I fish in occasionally. I was thinking of getting another quick release bracket so I could swap back and forth. Want to keep my skiff light and as clutter free as possible so don't want to go 2 batteries in it.
    If I end up with a bigger glass boat, I suppose I could try it and see, and then upgrade if it's not up to task. Hey, it would give me a reason to get one of those fancy Ulterras!!
    Pull the 12v off of your current boat, put it on the skiff, and then find a 24v for your new boat if it’s in your budget. I think you can make a 12v work in perfect conditions, but like was said above when the wind gets up, high current, etc you’ll be left wanting for more.