Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new to crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default new to crappie fishing

I am on barkley lake in KY. have been out twice but have not had any luck. Being new to fishing for crappie should i get a guide and maybe he can steer me in the right direction on fishing this lake? Thanks for any help dunitall

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. In my opinion, if you are going to fish Barkley lake a lot, it will be worth your money to get yourself a guide the first time out. That guide will not only give you ideas on where to launch and where to fish but also tips on rigs and lures since you are new to crappie fishing. You can also hang out at the local bait shop for an hour or so and and questions of those who come in. Most will be willing to help you. Also use google maps to view the lake. Look for coves, lay downs, weed beds, brush piles and points. Those are usually areas that hold fish. As for techniques use you tube to view videos on long line trolling and slip float fishing. That will get you started. Richard Gene(The Fishing Machine) does some nice videos.

Mike

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

WELCOME Aboard! You've landed in the right place to learn crappie fishing. Great bunch of folks here. Just ask.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Hang out and talk to the guys on the KY board...you might find someone to fish with. https://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentucky/
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

WELCOME

Post Thanks / Like

Barkley and Kentucky are so expansive that it's (nearly) impossible for a newbie to come in and catch fish in the numbers they desire.
    I would suggest a guide for 1/2 to full day and more if you can afford.
    The Kentucky site has some recommended guides.
    M R DUX is highly recommended but busy. I think any you find on KY page will give you great tips.

Alan
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum and I have not a clue on those lakes
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales