Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Homemade Scent

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homemade Scent

I've been wondering about scent alternatives. I really like to back my jigs up with a crappie nibble or two...I usually use Berkeley's white or chartreuse. I've read where some guys use cod liver oil, tuna oil, anise oil, etc. Do any of you make your own niblets or crappie attractant? Any suggestions?

crappieranger
    You don't know if you don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default alternatives

I was thinking of something to use when not using a tube. I also did some searching and saw a thread that mentioned cod liver oil.
    I was thinking to maybe mix some oil and minnow scent and have it in some sort of coffee cup(i dont drink coffee), something that will seal and not tip over easily so while im fishing I can just lower the jig into the cup.
    Another idea would be to see about marshmallow paste and then mix whatever with it. I may have to try the marshmallow paste and fish scent and after I find some fish lower id down on a marker bouey to see if they really take to it. I dont like spray scent, I alway feel like all the scent that misses your lure and hits the water is going to not make your lure stand out. Of course the slick always driftes behind you.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

There is a guy on the Louisiana board(TITELINE) that makes his own. With shrimp and salt and something, send him a PM and ask him if he would be willing to detail you on it. Here is the link to his profile page.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/member.php?u=7402
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Default preservative???

Thats what I forgot, is what to use for a preservative? or do the oils not need it? I know MSG is a preservative, but a crappie with a head ache brobable wouldnt bite again.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieranger
    I've been wondering about scent alternatives. I really like to back my jigs up with a crappie nibble or two...I usually use Berkeley's white or chartreuse. I've read where some guys use cod liver oil, tuna oil, anise oil, etc. Do any of you make your own niblets or crappie attractant? Any suggestions?

crappieranger
    I don't make my own,I just squirt some YUM on my grubs,that stuff really works and not much trouble or expense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coosajimmy
    I don't make my own,I just squirt some YUM on my grubs,that stuff really works and not much trouble or expense.
    I had a bottle of yum that I tried, it leaked into my tackle box and every plastic grub and worm got hard like a twig when the sun hit them. So I stay away from it now.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Default scent

I make my own nibbles, I use shrimp salt & garlic put them on my dehydrator and dry them down. They keep in a zip-loc bag in the boat. I mainly use them on days that I'm not doing much on any other bait combo. I keep an old crappie nibble can,fill it with lake water to rehydrate the shrimp some before I use them.
    The fish were bitting yesterday, The fish will bite tomorrow,,, today I must buy my fish