Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: BACK TROLLING FOR SPIDER RIGGING

Post Thanks / Like

Default BACK TROLLING FOR SPIDER RIGGING

HAS ANYONE TRIED TO SPIDER RIGGING BY BACK TROLLING, USING THE HAND HELD ON THE FRONT TROLLING MOTOR TO STERRE?
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

"IF" you're talking about having your rods out the front, sitting at the front, and using the trolling motor at the front to move the boat :

I think boat control would be a problem ... plus you'd have your baits dragging behind the prop wash of the trolling motor. It would seem to be more cumbersome to do it that way, and I'm not sure what the purpose of doing it that way would be

Can you elaborate more on it ??

Post Thanks / Like

I have back trolled before. Although that is what my boat was designed to do. Even in the name, Back Troller Select.
    Hang the rods off the transom and go in reverse. The water against the transom slows you way down, and offers unbelievable control. Minnkota makes several styles of transom mounted trolling motors for this purpose. Had one on my old boat, but not this one.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Buck Perry caught a few doing it.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'd get a better spread side pulling than back trolling. But you can certainly do it that way.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't waves coming over the transom be a problem?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff White took me back trolling. His boat had a shield on the bac too keep out splash.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Back Trolling:

The deadly tactic of back-trolling earned its stripes in the early 1960s when walleye anglers learned from fishing pioneers like Al and Ron Lindner, Spence Petros, Carl Malz and regular contributors to Fishing Facts. It was an era when anglers were creating and perfecting the techniques of fishing nightcrawlers and leeches with tools like bottom bouncers and the then newly invented Lindy Rig.

The challenge was to troll slow enough to keep those baited rigs in contact with bottom structure or nearly touching weedlines that followed highly irregular shapes—a favorite haunt of walleyes. Trolling forward in a 16-foot V-bottom aluminum boat, even with a 10-hp motor, was too fast for these light rigs. However, if an angler put the motor in reverse and trolled backward, the blunt face of the transom slowed the boat enough for an effective presentation.

Back-trolling seemed a perfect solution until it was necessary to troll into the wind, which caused waves to break over the transom, filling a boat with water. Of course, this was before bailers were popular, as these were low-tech aluminum fishing boats. Anglers found it difficult to hold a rod, steer the motor backward and use a bucket to bail water out of the boat. But walleye anglers, being a creative bunch, soon fashioned transom-mounted splashguards to keep out the water. Soon in those days there were almost as many articles on how to make your own guards as there were on back-trolling. Some were made of aluminum, Plexiglas and thick sheets of rubber. Then some were bolted on while some were clamped to the transom.

“Now, we even put backsplash guards on our bass boats to keep waves from washing over the transom when we must use a launch ramp that faces the wind,” Al Lindner said.

Today, anglers and writers don’t mention the back-trolling tactic as often. But according to Lindner, it is still “the absolute, most precise way to keep a lure on structure and in the strike zone.”

Still wondering about the popularity of back-trolling today, we contacted professional guide Tony Roach. According to him, back-trolling is alive and well, even graduating to big-water boats in the 18- to 20-foot range.

“I have a 20-foot Lund Pro-V with a 200-hp tiller-steering motor,” Roach said. “With the SmartCraft feature, I can run the motor as low as 500 RPMs, which is fine for trolling at 1 to 1.5 mph.”

His engine has a standard shaft length, but he runs a four-blade prop instead of a three-blade model, believing it moves a more appropriate amount of water. Roach has two Minn Kota trolling motors. The bow-mount unit can self-deploy with a remote control while the transom-mounted unit has tiller steering.

Even with today’s battery- and trolling-motor technology, wind and waves can be too much for the strongest 36-volt motors to keep a boat on structure for very long.

So why is back-trolling so effective?

“The bow swings too much for precision trolling forward,” Roach says.

He also says the flat part of the transom allows an angler much more boat control.

“It also allows you to hold yourself better in the current (for river fishing).”

Even salmon anglers who fish rivers have created their version of back-trolling while using the tactic to slip downstream and bounce crankbaits off the bottom. However, they point the boat upstream and row just fast enough to let the boat slowly slide downstream.

Conventional back-trollers are in luck—they no longer have to design and build their own backsplash guards. There are at least two manufacturers who build backsplash units specifically for your chosen boat and model including Wave-Wackers and Whitecap Splashguard. Stock models are available from Ve-Ve Incorporated.

While back-trolling may not be an all-encompassing panacea, it is alive and well. However, it has been kept in the background for a reason.
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!

Post Thanks / Like

I made my own set of splash shields and take them to Canada with us for walleye fishing. We get some strange looks from people, but that usually gives way to astonishment at the quantity and quality of fish we catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app