East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rig

How Is The Best Way To Rig A Rod To Spider Rig
    Send Pictures If You Can
    Or Step By Step Instructions

Thanks Wayne
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Below is a portion of an article I wrote and posted on my website entitled "Trolling Techniques." This is the link for the whole article: http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/Ne...g%20Techniques

"Slow trolling, sometimes called spider rigging, is a technique where an angler or a pair of anglers, sitting side by side, fan as many as eight long rods in rod holders from port to starboard across the bow of the boat. Rod lengths range from 10 to 16 foot, depending upon the angler’s preference. Some slow trolling experts use up to five hooks or jigs per pole. My preference is only two.

Using a 36-inch segment of 8-pound test line, tie on an extra-light wire minnow or cricket hook or a 1/32 or 1/16-ounce jig hook. This is your bottom hook. Next, secure a 3/8 to 3/4-ounce egg sinker six inches above the bottom hook by looping you line through three times. Now, tie a three-way swivel on the opposite end. Last, tie another hook with a six-inch leader to the second leg of the swivel. Terminal rigs like this can be made in advance of your trip and easily stored by wrapping it around a two-inch segment of foam. I cut mine from a round swim noodle.

Slow trolling speeds are usually less than one half mile an hour. The faster you troll, the greater the weight needed to keep your lines as vertical as possible and out of your trolling motor. Go slow. Boat control is key. Identify on your sonar unit what depth the fish are holding and drop your bottom hook to that depth. Fish on and pray they all hit at the same time. This is not a lazy way to fish."
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Very good article Darryl! I appreciate the info, I just bought some 12' jigging poles and I look forward to using them!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Crappie Guide
    Very good article Darryl! I appreciate the info, I just bought some 12' jigging poles and I look forward to using them!

J.T. what brand poles did you buy? I am going to look at some when I go to BPS fishing classic.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duane
    J.T. what brand poles did you buy? I am going to look at some when I go to BPS fishing classic.
    I bought Zebo Slab Seekers. Mine are telescoptic. I also got matching Slab Seeker spinning reels, they look real nice!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Darryl theres a lot of great reading there.
    I have 6 new Sam Heaton 10 ft rods that I hope to break in soon.
    Still need to pick up 4 more spinning reels for them.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

While the double hook rig as well described by Darryl above, is popular another way is a single hook.
    Rig as in carolina rigging a worm for bass fishing.
    Spool your reel with 8lb test. Slip on a sinker to fit conditions. In windy weather you will need a heavier sinker to keep your line vertical.
    after the sinker put a small glass bead. then tie a 12 to 18 inch leader of 6 lb test. I use cheap line for the reel and Berkley Vanish for the leader.
    To the leader, I attach a no-knot fas-snap ( see the current knot thread)
    Then I clip whatever color hook or jig to the fas-snap.
    I can change jigs in a flash without retying. I can change from jigs to hooks and not retie. I can change sinker weights very easily if conditions change.
    I have also used 6 lb. test on the reel and just used that same line for the leader. You may break off more line when you do that, but it saves carrying an extra spool of leader line.