HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rigging and pushing questiion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging and pushing questiion

This is my second season as a crappie fisherman and i purchased 6 Southern Crappie 14ft rods. My local lake is only about 22 feet deep at its deepest point with a avearge depth of 15ft. im fishing off the front of my bass boat in a spider rig fashion.I dont have any brush piles to sit over which i understand thats what spider rigging was designed for.Im having to troll sorta with my rods out front, i guess they call that pushing correct?can i catch fish this way? i going about 1.2 mph on my trolling motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging and pushing questiion

Totally depends on what the fish want. I wouldn’t necessarily say spider rigging was designed to sit over brush piles. I think of covering water when I think of spider rigging. Again, all depends on the fish. Generally I push from .1-.7 out the front. Add weight to keep rigs down the faster you go and maybe a little more the deeper you fish.

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly can! Try Roadrunner or jig with "swimming" tail. Try different speeds until you see what they like. Sometimes much slower or even drifting with the wind works. If the water is clear it is more likely that they will spook from your trolling motor. The digitally controlled motors are much quieter, and some props are much quieter than others. You can also use small crankbaits. Even minnows on a minnow rig, but probably a bit slower than 1.2. Probably not as effective during the spawn, but great after. Slow "trolling" over the drops leading to spawning cover and deep cover in that area was working for me 2 weeks ago.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup push them but slow down
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Thats all I do when I spider rig is troll with rods out the front. I like 0.4-0.7. Allows me to use a 1/2 ounce sinker in between a minnow hook (top), and a 1/8 ounce jig head (bottom), and still keep my lines near vertical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by escout View Post
    You certainly can! Try Roadrunner or jig with "swimming" tail. Try different speeds until you see what they like. Sometimes much slower or even drifting with the wind works. If the water is clear it is more likely that they will spook from your trolling motor. The digitally controlled motors are much quieter, and some props are much quieter than others. You can also use small crankbaits. Even minnows on a minnow rig, but probably a bit slower than 1.2. Probably not as effective during the spawn, but great after. Slow "trolling" over the drops leading to spawning cover and deep cover in that area was working for me 2 weeks ago.
    i am using road runner jigs that are tipped with minnows.will there be be enough action on the bait at around .5 mph?

Post Thanks / Like

Lift one up and see if it’s spinning

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes SlabSeeker0485 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hambandit View Post
    Lift one up and see if it’s spinning

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

lol why didnt i think of that!

Post Thanks / Like

I too am new to spider rigging. Purchased new 14's from Mr. Duke several weeks ago. I was extremely grateful for the time he took with me to help me get up to speed. His motive is to keep it simple. You could benefit from going to Ed's channel on Youtube (Southern Crappie Rods) and watching how he spider rigs. Good luck to you.

YouTube
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!
    Likes TreednNC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=need2befishin;3810351]I too am new to spider rigging. Purchased new 14's from Mr. Duke several weeks ago. I was extremely grateful for the time he took with me to help me get up to speed. His motive is to keep it simple. You could benefit from going to Ed's channel on Youtube (Southern Crappie Rods) and watching how he spider rigs. Good luck to you.

yea i went to his house and bought my rods from him,ive watched all his videos and he isnt trolling just sitting over fish not moving unless ive missed them
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast