Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could it be post spawn in TEXAS already ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default could it be post spawn in TEXAS already ?

I for one DONT just go with what the fish tell me , but this scenario made it pretty clear to me along with the reports I had from some other anglers on this water body .I heard from others the fish were gone this last week , and 2 weeks ago there were lots all over the lake up shallow . I myself enjoyed the bounty about 2 weeks ago in a light rain one day .
    This visit I hit the lake about 6 am and found some really beat up fish shallow around beds . The females were obviously egg less with shredded tails and the males were basically small and looked like they had been in a blender .
    The lake has started its algae bloom and moss was thick in a lot of spots . There may be another wave of fish in the near future, but it isn't likely from what I have seen on this lake in the past . The bluegills will likely be up this week and I think I got a few bluegill bites back in a creek where I also found a few post spawn small female crappie in the main channel .
    The state fisheries biologist I chatted with last week about the local crappie spawn told me that with the cold spring we have had and the slow movement to the shallows this year it was likely to go really hard and fast when it did occur.
    The fish were all about 3 foot under a float and one bass made me think I had a really big crappie on my line and I used orange and hot pink jigs and got my line broke one time as well . The bite STOPPED totally as soon as the sunlight got pretty good about 7 45 am .
    sometimes it is what it is ….next lake please
    hope you enjoy the read and photos
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty fish!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StantheMan2567 View Post
    Pretty fish!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    pretty wore down right now for sure , got a lot of character after the rigors of the spawn though , just looking thin and tattered right now ….one of those females would have been pretty heavy before she spawned I am pretty sure
    thanks for the comment sir
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

timing the spawn is always dicey, sometimes it just happens when you can't get on the water and makes you crazy!! This year with all the cold, rainy conditions it will be hard to judge. But at least on my home lake the water is up where I love to wade and get after em and no one else goes there tho they all can see it easy!

On my home lake there are a couple of spawns as it is a power plant lake. first in warm water, then in other parts, then the whites come in and later the blacks. So we shall see.

Always enjoy your posts outlaw.

Post Thanks / Like

boy howdy you said a mouthful , the spawn either makes your stringer heavy or you have a spaghetti dinner instead ….lol
    many times I am sure I will just tear them up and be lucky to ketch one ,sometimes I go thinking probably not today and get tired of ketchn them ……
    spawn fish are some of the toughest to find in my opinion on a consistent basis day to day

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

spawn or no spawn I'm going to try and be out there every day fishing for them.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid. -Ben Franklin
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Any day I'm fishing is a good day, regardless of what I catch.

Post Thanks / Like

nice man!!

Post Thanks / Like

The spawn seems to go by faster than we all would like. I never seem to get to fish as much as I want during it nor do I get to fish as many places as I would like to before it's over.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I fish year around and have a much harder time in the spring than I do in the winter and summer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buff58 View Post
    I fish year around and have a much harder time in the spring than I do in the winter and summer
    these fish are rather unpredictable in the spring and drive lots of folks nuts ,me included.
    feast or famine on the spring run is for real .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast