Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinning reel question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning reel question...

This may seem like a dumb question, but when you all cast your spinning reels does it seem like a couple extra loops of line come off before you can close the bail? I am always having to manipulate my line before I can close it and reel in, and I never notice anyone else having the problem. Everyone else seems to be able to cast, and flip the bail and start reeling...

Post Thanks / Like

Could possibly have too much line on spool.

Post Thanks / Like

DITTO what wefish said --- too much line spooled on a reel can cause all kinds of problems.
    on the road again...just can't wait to get back to...TOLEDO BEND

Post Thanks / Like

If the line came off the spool it was packaged on onto the reel spool the wrong way it will multiply the problem when over filled. Hooker

Post Thanks / Like

Talking line/spinning reel

Too much line on spool, spool should fill to 1/8 inch below top edge of spool. and while spooling, have label side of spool facing up if laying on table. A good way to put line on reel,which I have done for many years, is to have line tied to spool and thru pole eyes and then drop spool into water and start reeling line kinda quick. The spool should start spinning in vertical position like a turning water wheel.This holds tension on line while spooling and lubricant while spinning.Just be sure spool spins like a wheel while filling reel. I also like to use Reel Lube everyday on my line.. Good Luck!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually stop the line right before the lure hits the water with my finger or by turning the reel handle so I'm ready to start reeling.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like overfill may be the culprit; however did you mention what type of line your running? lb test? we fish Power Pro alot sometimes it will exibit the same problem notably when casting directly into wind...but not every cast, so if your running mono try a good brand of line conditioner spray a couple of shots on spool should eliminate this...works for me! hope this helps.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    I usually stop the line right before the lure hits the water with my finger or by turning the reel handle so I'm ready to start reeling.
    Dittos. That makes all the difference in the world. It virtually elimates all those line problems. Its a little awkward at first but once you get use to it, you do it without even thinking about it,
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    I~I`ve allways heard not to reel to close the bail on a spinning with reeling as it will break the spring, allways flip the bail with your hand.I know this is true beacuse I had a friend who broke his several times. Just my 2 cents..Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Lip RIPPERS
    if your running mono try a good brand of line conditioner spray a couple of shots on spool should eliminate this...works for me! hope this helps.
    I've always wondered about line conditioner. I have this phobia of putting anything on my line that isn't geared towards being a fish attractant. Guess its the hunter in me?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast