PDA

View Full Version : stick steer boat

captdave
03-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Thinking about changing to a stick steer boat.....specifically the war eagle panfish boat. Would like to hear any input for those that currently fish out of a stick steer. Pros/cons? Thanks in advance for any input.

Alphahawk
03-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Thinking about changing to a stick steer boat.....specifically the war eagle panfish boat. Would like to hear any input for those that currently fish out of a stick steer. Pros/cons? Thanks in advance for any input.

I have a 14.5 foot Xtreme SS with a 54 inch bottom. I love it.....but......I had to put a Smooth Moves suspension seat up front or I would have sold it within 3 months of getting it. Iíve had it for 4 years now and I use it 3-5 days a week unless it is cold or the wind is blowing more than I like. My boat will top out at 31 MPH. Going that speed even in a mild chop will literally beat your back to death. But with the suspension seat I open it up even if I happen to get caught out in a bigger wind. With the seat it rides as smooth as silk. You will get wet.....no way to stop that. The choppier the ride the wetter youíll get. Those are the only negatives I have. Iím 67 and did not want to be up on a deck doing anything. With the stick steer I stay low. I love the fact that when pulling up on my fishing spot I donít have to move to another seat. I only need one sonar unit. The boat is cheap to run and maintain. So today my only negative is getting wet. In the summer that is fine....but getting wet in winter is no fun. So in winter time I will always wear my rain jacket.....and sometimes rain pants also. Now in the winter if the wind is forecast to be over 5 MPH I just donít go out. People have asked me if I could buy another boat would I still get a stick steer. That is difficult to answer. I hate getting wet when it is cold but the boat is a hoot to drive.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

canepolekid
03-23-2019, 06:44 PM
I've got a Tracker Panfish 16 and love it! Not the most foot room but a great boat. I also like sitting lower in the boat vs platform. If you fish alone much it can't be beat! Stick Steers excel in smaller creeks, rivers and lakes but not in big wind.

Stumpy04
03-23-2019, 06:47 PM
I agree with Alphahawk. Riding upfront in a chop will definitely jar the filings right out of your teeth. It can be a wet ride too and not just for the person in the front. Having said that, the advantages he pointed out are spot on. I never thought about getting a suspension type seat. I no longer own the boat but a friend bought it from me and he really likes it. Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cray
03-23-2019, 07:23 PM
I have the Wareagle 754vs. Love that boat. Love the fact once I’m on the water I don’t have to get out of seat. Got it set up where I can do everything from front seat. I have a 50 Yamaha 4 stroke and proper where I get a lot of bow lift. Don’t get near as wet as some of the other guys do. And I have found it to ride pretty good even in some pretty rough water. Yes there are times you will get soaked but advantages far outweigh disadvantages. I’m 71 and not in the best shape so being down in the boat like Alpha says makes me a lot mor comfortable.

Smitty39365
03-23-2019, 07:25 PM
Agree with all said... I have the XPress XP16PF. I river fish most of the time. Love how it handles. I donít think Iíll ever have another thatís not stick steer. The pros outweigh the cons for me.336020336021

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

dko
03-23-2019, 07:38 PM
I also have the xpress 16pf and really like it. It has a big a big enough V in the front that I don’t get wet and it cuts the waves good, but when It gets rough enough it will make you slow down for sure.

captdave
03-23-2019, 08:02 PM
And hijacking my own thread......how the heck do you steer the boat with the stick??

Smitty39365
03-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Steers the ďsameĒ as a steering wheel just turned 90 degrees to your left... push the stick forward to go right push towards the rear to go left. There is a learning curve to get use to one... least there was for me. But itís an easy learn.

Yaker
03-23-2019, 08:28 PM
I set my kayak up in the stick steer configuration.I cut and mounted my trolling motor head on the left side of my seat,and the stick steer on the right,works great,and draws a lot of attention.

jp2
03-23-2019, 09:30 PM
I'm 71 years old. Recently sold my 2nd stick steer and bought my 2nd console. I did enjoy sitting down in the the boat, not being up on deck and not having to get up and down. My back couldn't handle the stick steer any more. Sometimes I would have to go so slow it would take me forever to get back to landing. Also stick has limited space compared to console. Sticks are limited on engine size as compared to console. Depends on how you fish. Stick is fine for small water, console is better for big water. My stick steers were aluminum, think the fiberglass ones ride better.

Alphahawk
03-23-2019, 09:36 PM
This seat will tame any stick steer boat...or any other boat.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

agruss
03-24-2019, 06:24 AM
I agree with most all that has been said. I am 72 years old five months out from back surgery l4 l5 s1 fused and would not give up my stick steer. I have older model alumcraft crappie magnum made that boat 2 years i think. In rough water it does ride a little ruff but i spend more time fishing then riding. The stick steer allows me to not have to move around, at my age and fishing by myself that is important. I shoot docks sitting down in the boat puts me at a better angle to get under docks. My only real complaint is there is not a lot of room up front if you do have to move it is close. I think it will depend on how you fish, being up is better for casting, shooting docks you are better down. It would be great if you could try one a few times before buying. You will either love it or hate it, good luck. One last note i started back fishing about 6 weeks after surgery without any problem, i am careful about rough water.

Rammer1961
03-25-2019, 11:42 AM
This seat will tame any stick steer boat...or any other boat.

Regards

Aphahawk.... What is this seat called and who sells them. I have the same issue when its really choppy on the lake.

Rammer1961
03-25-2019, 12:33 PM
I have had a 2009 Royal 169SS stick steer / Merc 60 4S for 11 years now. Love the boat just wish it was a couple foot wider. I do enjoy not having to move from where I'm sitting. Just crank up and go. I have had a bass boat (my 1st boat) for 15 years and a 22ft pontoon boat I had for 4 years. Been in this boat ever since. I'm like Alphahawk and others, just rough waters is the only real con to the stick steer boat style.

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/attach/jpg.gif IMG_20190307_160700.jpg (383.3 KB)

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/attach/jpg.gif IMG_20190307_160722.jpg (350.8 KB)

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/attach/jpg.gif IMG_20190307_160757.jpg (337.5 KB)

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/attach/jpg.gif IMG_20190307_160819.jpg (169.2 KB)

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/images/attach/jpg.gif IMG_20190307_160633.jpg (99.3 KB)

Luvfatslabs
03-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Nice boat

JRB
03-25-2019, 12:51 PM
I have a Seaark Forecast 170ss. Itís a good boat to pleasure fish our of but not tournament fish out of. My next one w be console steer so my tournament partner and I can both set up front. It rides good and doesnít throw much spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Alphahawk
03-25-2019, 04:33 PM
Aphahawk.... What is this seat called and who sells them. I have the same issue when its really choppy on the lake.

Here you go.

Boat Seat Products - Smooth Moves Boat Seat (https://www.smoothmovesseats.com/shop/)

Regards

Cane Pole
03-25-2019, 04:52 PM
I love stick steers. I have a Crappie Jon in which I installed stick steering. AND, my Pondtoon has Joystick steering. No consoles to crawl around or hide under.

Fish on Line
03-26-2019, 03:34 PM
My Alumaweld 14 ft Express stick stearing is a different animal -- A Modified John Boat Square Nose flat bottom --- It has two big Bench seats that has a slide Rail across the front of the aluminum bench that the seat slips into in a rolling motion -- the seat will swivel but you can only face forward, because you have nowhere for your legs. If you face the seat backwards it will dump your butt seat and all into the Floor .. the welded bench makes it hard to get to the motor to choke the motor or take the choke off.. at the front the floor rotating upward to the Bow places the foot control for the TM is all over the place and the right leg in an awkward position that is hard on the back. The Rail for the Gunwale does not lend itself to mounting Rod holders or anything else -- It Is impossible to rig for Spider Rigging and Long lining is out of the question... I would love to have any of those Boats pictured. . No live well and a limited amount of room then the Ice chest is in place.. However it is better than a yak or stumbling around the bank with the Cotton Mouths

Lonnie84
03-26-2019, 03:37 PM
My first boat was King Fisher w/stick loved that boat.

captdave
03-26-2019, 07:16 PM
Another kind of hijack my own thread question.....have seen some stick steer boats with a hydraulic stick steer versus the standard stick. Can anybody compare them?

Smitty39365
03-26-2019, 07:31 PM
Have never operated one with hydraulic steering, have seen a couple videos of them. I think it would be better. I know standard takes a little muscle but the hydraulic looks smooth as butter. Thatís one upgrade I would consider doing to mine but Iíd have to drive one first.

Blackjeepjk
03-26-2019, 08:27 PM
Another kind of hijack my own thread question.....have seen some stick steer boats with a hydraulic stick steer versus the standard stick. Can anybody compare them?

Just about like manual vs power steering on cars. If you're moving it turns easier. The faster you move the easier it turns. Keep in mind it's not that hard to turn, hydraulic is nice but comes at a cost $.

I have a '94 grumman 16/49 ss. No wood, all aluminum. I spider rig, push jigs, pull jigs. and shoot docks. I've had it for a long time. will never sell it. May buy another one bigger but wont sell this un.

warhawk
03-26-2019, 11:34 PM
I have a Tracker Panfish 16 with a 40 hp Merc 4 stroke, and a minn Kota I pilot trolling motor. I looked at stick steers from Xpress and Alweld (both made locally) G3 and War Eagle. I like the layout of the tracker best of all. I have storage under the seats, and most important a huge storage locker right in front of the driver. None of the other had this locker. Iím not crazy about the Chinese made Mercury motor, but so far so good. I have some kind of a leak in the plumbing for the Livewell. It doesnít always leak, and never a whole lot but I still wish it didnít leak at all. Itís only leaked enough to where the bilge pump could pump water one time, and we were on the water all day. Also, the Livewell sloshes water out, I rarely use it. Usually put a plug in it and a bag of ice if I plan to keep fish. Iíd prefer no Livewell at all and just use a cooler for keeping fish.

If if I had it to do over Iíd probably have a custom made boat, laid out the way I like it, with hydraulic steering and a Suzuki motor.

I have back troubles, and recently am having some nerve pain in my left arm and shoulder. This makes using the stick steering painful, but itís still better than getting up and down to fish in an. Regular console boat. I donít have much trouble with rough water. One, I stay home if itís windy or stormy. And two, I fish mostly small lakes and am never too far from the boat ramp.

on the hydraulic steering question. With a stick steer youíre using the motors torque to turn left, and fighting it to turn right. So the effort to steer left is much less than the effort to steer right. This is without the hydraulic steering, never used it so I canít say Hot it would work.

agruss
03-27-2019, 05:33 AM
I had a new 40hp motor put on 17ft alumncraft. They did not adjust the trim tab and it was really hard to steer right. Adjusted the tab make all the difference i needed. Speed and where you have the motor trimed also makes a great difference. As stated hydraulic would be better but check the price.

Cray
03-27-2019, 07:38 AM
There is a gentleman on here that posts once in awhile from Arkansas. He has the wareagle 754vs like mine. He did a post about installing hydraulic on his a year or so ago. I looked into it and a little rich for me, but may come a time when I have to. Here is a link to the setup.
Ezy Glide Hydra-Stik Hydraulic Stick Steering System HS-2470 (https://www.boatstoreusa.com/steering/ezy-glide-hydra-stik-hydraulic-stick-steering-system-hs-2500/)

johndeere5045
03-27-2019, 08:21 AM
I have the Xtreme 18/60. Love it. I have hydrolic steering . I have no torque on the wheel. I can let it go and it goes staight as a arrow. Its a amazing package. 60 hp suzuki. Tops out about 32 with me by myself. They build them in Esto Florida. Great people to work with.

Cane Pole
03-27-2019, 08:49 AM
Set the trim tape to help the torque. I have 15hp Merc on my jon. The Merc has a steering friction lever which I adjust. I have trim/tilt and can trim my motor at plane and let go of the stick and it stays put when on plane. easy steering for me and I aint no youngun. The Merc pushes me along about 24-25mph. I don't let go of the stick very often, I guarantee that.

jay the baptist
03-27-2019, 09:43 AM
I had a 2007 or 2008 G3 16ft with 50hp Honda 4stroke. Good boat, Ran about 33 gps. 8 gal fuel tank I think. Bought it used but was like new. I liked it if I was by myself. I always could turn the stick loose and it stayed right there. The man that owned it before me moved the livewell over to one side. He took out the boxes from under the seats and installed pedstals. Pros: easy to tow, launch, by myself it was great. Easy to keep clean.
Cons: Always had to wear a PFD. Morning ride is cold, No wind protection. Limited storage for tackle & poles. My knees always hitting the side decks. Small well and not insulated well at all. Still had to get up to launch the trolling motor. Wished it had been mounted to the side of the bow. I've had 3 glass bass boats, 1 triton tin 170 mag2, 1 center console lowe. 1 vee 170 fisher. Glass is stable and smooth. Currently have a 2009 stratos 176xt. More storage than I need and hugh front deck. My favorite boat so far but one of the slowest with a 60hp 4stroke. The vee is my 2nd favorite. Wide and deep and stable walking around. Not fast even with a 90 merc opti. But you're not setting on the floor either. If I wanted tin again, I'd find a vee console with the lower decks. I'm 57 now and they are beginning to appeal to me more and more. Blessings!!

vfourmax
03-27-2019, 11:20 AM
I have been considering a stick steer set up in my 14' semi v jon. I have been running just electric for the last year or so and have in the past swapped between a 25 hp tiller and 9.9 two stroke tillers.
I used to fish this boat a lot by myself and actually this boat was not used at all for about 10 years and sat in the shop.
I had some health issues a few years ago and sold the 16' boat with a Jet outboard I had been running the last few years as it had been two years it also sat as my health kept me off of the water and honestly when I sold it I really doubted whether I would ever be able to fish again.

I have always liked my little 14' and it has a small casting deck with pedestal seat up front, and the ability to run a pedestal seat in the rear as well. The middle stock bench has a swivel seat on it which was used for a front passenger when using the tiller gas motor.

What I think I would like to do is possibly upgrade to a new 9.9 4 stroke electric start remote motor and run the controls up next to that front seat that is used when the tiller motor is used. I do not care about speed actually, a steady 10-15 max would be fine and want to use the gas motor more for running to a different area in some of the small rivers I fish and a few of the lakes I fish do allow up to a 9.9 hp.

This would keep from needing to swap ends on the boat when I used a gas motor and I would still fish from the front deck as always. I really like the concept and I think it would complete the boat to be exactly what I want really and with the little motor the stick steering should be ideal.
Still a pretty decent investment in the cash department over just using my old rope pull tiller 9.9 2 stroke. I am sure a lot of people do not understand the money I have spent upgrading that old boat recently but I like the boat, it is easy to pull and launch and allows me to not need a full size truck for a tow vehicle.

I guess this old boat is just part of the family! lol!

I like any conversations about stick steered boats, I think before it is all said and done if I can talk myself into the dollars my little boat will end up stick steer.

Kenny C
03-27-2019, 12:08 PM
Here is my rig. 2016 Pro Gator 156S. Love it. Usually just me fishing. Never have to move. Ride does get a bit rough, though. Has a 10 year hull warranty. Double hull, livewell, 60HP E-Tec., Garmin Sonar. Have a removable spider rig set up on the front. Made in Benton, LA. Had the bottom painted black too.

captdave
03-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Beautiful boat Kenny C!

skeetbum
03-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Vfourmax, did you really think you could tell us all about the boat and not post a few pics of it? Sounds like a sweet ride and you’ll educate us all along the way.

vfourmax
03-28-2019, 06:57 PM
Vfourmax, did you really think you could tell us all about the boat and not post a few pics of it? Sounds like a sweet ride and you’ll educate us all along the way.

I am not one that really takes pictures of anything. I am planning on getting the boat out within the next couple of weeks (after I get a couple of scheduled doctor appointments out of the way) and I will try to remember and:cheers2 take some pictures of the boat when I get it out.

Believe me it is nothing fancy!:fish:cheers2

pops72106
03-28-2019, 09:01 PM
here is mine336838336839

JRB
03-28-2019, 10:00 PM
Nice lookin rig Pops. You fish Lake Conway? I think i've seen this rig out there some.

pops72106
03-29-2019, 02:39 PM
Yes sir

pops72106
03-29-2019, 02:42 PM
What’s crazy is i just had my guys install a new Ulterra and a 2nd Helix 10 and just as they were finishing the install. I was on the phone with H20 marine and bought a new 754vs so now they have to transfer all of my electronics and talons onto the new boat. I am not the most popular guy with my guys at my shop rite now.

warhawk
03-29-2019, 11:40 PM
I just thought of a potential negative for my little stick steer Tracker. It uses so little gas that I only fill it up about every six months. If you live someplace where all you can get is ethanol, you might have a problem.

Lake Runner
08-27-2019, 02:18 PM
I have about the same boat with a 70 Yamaha 4stroke. Iím having trouble with bad torque with my stick steering. Very hard to turn left. Do you have the same problem?

huntinslabs
08-27-2019, 02:33 PM
Have you tried turning your torque tab on motor a touch. Most tiller boats need adjusted between 1 and 2 o clock to offset torque. Might help with stick steer as well.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Lake Runner
08-27-2019, 05:21 PM
I have a boat real similar to yours. Do you have a bad torque problem wanting to turn right or does it track straight? Thx

Lake Runner
08-27-2019, 05:22 PM
Referring to smitty39365

Smitty39365
08-27-2019, 09:27 PM
I have a boat real similar to yours. Do you have a bad torque problem wanting to turn right or does it track straight? Thx

No major torque problems with mine... it tracks pretty true. Now I canít turn the stick loose and it stay straight for long, it will start to veer off. Is it just at speed youíre having trouble turning or is it stiff at slower speeds as well? If both Iíd inspect the cables, make sure thereís not a bind somewhere... if just at speed Iíd do like others have said, check that your tab is adjusted correctly, might take a few times adjusting to get the torque under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Lake Runner
08-28-2019, 04:59 AM
Thx for responding Smitty. Yes, the minute I throttle up it is real hard to turn. I did a couple of things that might help. I may have had my motor up too high. I hunt a real shallow area where there are a lot of clams. It is hard on props. I have a manual jack plate piggy backed with a hydraulic jack plate. It may have been high enough out the water to where the trim tab on the motor may not have been grabbing enough water. I had installed the Ezyglide torque tab on the skeg but it didnít help. I lowered my manual jack plate all the way and also have the hydraulic jack plate all the way down. That puts my cavitation plate close to the bottom of the boat. Iím gonna make a test run and hope that does the trick. Thx to all who have responded. I really like being up front as we are getting older and itís so nice to just pick up the trolling motor and roll. My Ezyglide system is new and only has a few hours on it. But is is a chore to turn left with all the torque feed back. Iíll update yíall. Thx.

Smitty39365
08-28-2019, 05:28 AM
Hopefully that will fix the issue for you. A little tweaking on your setup and it will get better I bet.

Smitty39365
08-28-2019, 07:36 AM
I bet if you call Ezyglide they would have some tips to help figure it out also.

Lake Runner
08-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Good news. I lowered both my jack plates to their lowest level. That put my cavitation place close to the bottom of the boat. Now I can even temporarily let the stick go and it will stay straight. It still is a little heavy to turn but no where even close to where it was before. Iím one happy camper for not having to go to hydraulic. I hope this will help others that end up in the same boat; pun intended. Thanks yíall for putting up with me. 👍

Smitty39365
08-28-2019, 01:39 PM
Good deal! Glad that worked [emoji106]