HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass or aluminum boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glass or aluminum boat

Ok I totaled my older skeeter glass boat and can't make up my mind if I go with a older glass boat champion or maybe ranger. Or go with a newer tin boat like the 188c ranger or maybe a triton. My problem is I can buy a nice older glass for way less money. But the tin boat uses way less gas and is lighter to haul. I am a die hard crappie guy single pole spider rig also. Please give me some reasons on which one to buy thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my, what a great problem to have. I think a glass boat is just easier to use overall. But those new(er) aluminums sure are attractive. Good luck with it.

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Xpress 18’6” that has the padded hull. and I love it and have said that I would never have a glass rig but I fish a lot of open water and sometimes have to run 3-4 miles and back and wind is a big problem so 2’+ waves is the norm and the ride gets a little ruff and wet in the tin boat ! Have road in the big glass boats in ruff water and they ride a lot smother also I have problems with the wind pushing the aluminum boat more than the glass boat but that can be expected with it being much lighter than the glass boats!
    Likes skeetbum, Pithon LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

What prowler said. It would depend on the kind of waters you fish. Big water and big wind will make up my mind. I went from a 16’ stock steer aluminum Jon to an 18’ bass boat. More comfortable platform in many ways. A single side console allows for a longer rod box. I can get 9’ rods into mine. 2 live wells, but I really only use the bigger one. Good storage also. One hatch is my tackle box. Lower in the water and a bit heavier has me still trolling while they tin boats are already on their trailers. I would have a 24volt TM on either so that’s a non issue. Rough water is much easier in this boat, especially when you have to go back upwind to the ramp. Good luck with your choice.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes up2specks LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am a die hard crappie guy single pole spider rig also. Please give me some reasons on which one to buy thanks.

Just my opinion, since you have already owned a glass boat. I would want to try out some of the aluminum boats you are interested in, on a windy day. If you do a lot of spider rigging, boat control is a top priority.
    Good Luck.
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!
    Likes up2specks LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If money is no option, then glass. Over time the aluminum will save you much more money and will fish every bit as well as any glass boat. UNLESS, you are fishing BIG water. Then it should be glass. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    What prowler said. It would depend on the kind of waters you fish. Big water and big wind will make up my mind. I went from a 16’ stock steer aluminum Jon to an 18’ bass boat. More comfortable platform in many ways. A single side console allows for a longer rod box. I can get 9’ rods into mine. 2 live wells, but I really only use the bigger one. Good storage also. One hatch is my tackle box. Lower in the water and a bit heavier has me still trolling while they tin boats are already on their trailers. I would have a 24volt TM on either so that’s a non issue. Rough water is much easier in this boat, especially when you have to go back upwind to the ramp. Good luck with your choice.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

In sold my glass boat last year and got a new ranger alum. 19ft.CC. I am not very happy with the alum. wind blows it around a lot more, ride is not as good, it just and just doesn't fish as good. I think you would like the glass boat better.

Post Thanks / Like

If you spider rig much at all on bigger water I think staying with a glass boat is the way to go. Wind doesn’t push them around nearly as bad, and the ride is much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Rougher ride, and wind hurts an aluminum rig. But it will tow like a feather, and sip fuel. I vertical jig one pole a lot of the time, and smack stump after stump.... And that's why I'll always have aluminum.

Sent from my Z983 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes ford man, silverside, cevans LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast