PDA

View Full Version : Glass or aluminum boat

tim
03-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Ok I totaled my older skeeter glass boat and can't make up my mind if I go with a older glass boat champion or maybe ranger. Or go with a newer tin boat like the 188c ranger or maybe a triton. My problem is I can buy a nice older glass for way less money. But the tin boat uses way less gas and is lighter to haul. I am a die hard crappie guy single pole spider rig also. Please give me some reasons on which one to buy thanks.

Daddy and Luke
03-22-2019, 09:16 PM
Oh my, what a great problem to have. I think a glass boat is just easier to use overall. But those new(er) aluminums sure are attractive. Good luck with it.

Slabprowler
03-22-2019, 09:33 PM
I have a Xpress 18’6” that has the padded hull. and I love it and have said that I would never have a glass rig but I fish a lot of open water and sometimes have to run 3-4 miles and back and wind is a big problem so 2’+ waves is the norm and the ride gets a little ruff and wet in the tin boat ! Have road in the big glass boats in ruff water and they ride a lot smother also I have problems with the wind pushing the aluminum boat more than the glass boat but that can be expected with it being much lighter than the glass boats!:twocents

skeetbum
03-23-2019, 04:34 AM
What prowler said. It would depend on the kind of waters you fish. Big water and big wind will make up my mind. I went from a 16’ stock steer aluminum Jon to an 18’ bass boat. More comfortable platform in many ways. A single side console allows for a longer rod box. I can get 9’ rods into mine. 2 live wells, but I really only use the bigger one. Good storage also. One hatch is my tackle box. Lower in the water and a bit heavier has me still trolling while they tin boats are already on their trailers. I would have a 24volt TM on either so that’s a non issue. Rough water is much easier in this boat, especially when you have to go back upwind to the ramp. Good luck with your choice.

pescador
03-23-2019, 05:48 AM
I am a die hard crappie guy single pole spider rig also. Please give me some reasons on which one to buy thanks.

Just my opinion, since you have already owned a glass boat. I would want to try out some of the aluminum boats you are interested in, on a windy day. If you do a lot of spider rigging, boat control is a top priority.
Good Luck. :ThumbsUp

Crestliner08
03-23-2019, 06:10 AM
If money is no option, then glass. Over time the aluminum will save you much more money and will fish every bit as well as any glass boat. UNLESS, you are fishing BIG water. Then it should be glass. JMO. :)

Hat55
03-23-2019, 10:10 AM
:hesaid
What prowler said. It would depend on the kind of waters you fish. Big water and big wind will make up my mind. I went from a 16’ stock steer aluminum Jon to an 18’ bass boat. More comfortable platform in many ways. A single side console allows for a longer rod box. I can get 9’ rods into mine. 2 live wells, but I really only use the bigger one. Good storage also. One hatch is my tackle box. Lower in the water and a bit heavier has me still trolling while they tin boats are already on their trailers. I would have a 24volt TM on either so that’s a non issue. Rough water is much easier in this boat, especially when you have to go back upwind to the ramp. Good luck with your choice.

J.M.
03-23-2019, 11:51 AM
In sold my glass boat last year and got a new ranger alum. 19ft.CC. I am not very happy with the alum. wind blows it around a lot more, ride is not as good, it just and just doesn't fish as good. I think you would like the glass boat better.

DHC
03-23-2019, 01:03 PM
If you spider rig much at all on bigger water I think staying with a glass boat is the way to go. Wind doesnít push them around nearly as bad, and the ride is much better.

Locator79
03-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Rougher ride, and wind hurts an aluminum rig. But it will tow like a feather, and sip fuel. I vertical jig one pole a lot of the time, and smack stump after stump.... And that's why I'll always have aluminum.

Sent from my Z983 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

whatroads
03-23-2019, 01:18 PM
For myself, it came down to they type of water I usually fish. The three major lakes around me all have standing timber. I would be major concerned about damaging a fiberglass boat. Yes, you can damage aluminum too. I just don't get as concerned with tree branch scratches on my new TX 190. It goes with the territory. The larger aluminum bass boats, (18+ feet), can handle Kansas windy lakes very well

lowe175
03-23-2019, 01:45 PM
If $$ and your not limited by the truth you have go glass you want be sorry. I've had both and if possible I'm going to have a glass boat. Lot smoother ride and way better in wind

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Hanr3
03-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Tin for the win. Wood rots, even covered in glass. Aluminum doesn't rot in fresh water.

silverside
03-23-2019, 10:07 PM
I vertical jig one pole a lot of the time, and smack stump after stump.... And that's why I'll always have aluminum.

Sent from my Z983 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

lowe175
03-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Keep in mind most new boats don't have much or any wood. They are built much better now days

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

up2specks
03-23-2019, 10:37 PM

Your right...they're called Meadow Muffins!lol:yikes

skeetbum
03-24-2019, 04:13 AM
Tin for the win. Wood rots, even covered in glass. Aluminum doesn't rot in fresh water.

That was true at one time in older boat, but after 2000 boat makers started going all composite and no wood to rot. Mine is an Ď88 and had the transom redone, and is tougher now than when it was first made. The only concern I would have in any newer boat would be the years that Triton was bad about stress cracks in their transoms and I donít know which years they were. Mine is a Bumble Bee and has a skinny nose on it and side by side would be tough. Definite trade offs between glass and metal.

Snubby
03-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Most all of your fiberglass boat builders started switching over to 100% full composite hulls by the mid 90's. I have a 91 stratos that is wood encased in fiberglass on the transom, decks and floors. All still solid as the day it was built, well taken care of. I've owned tin and glass and for my everyday type fishing glass just suits me better. Not to say they're aren't any big aluminum boats being built now that will ride and fish better then my old fiberglass boat, but they ain't giving them away either. I will comment on the stump thing as well. I wouldn't hesitate to bump stumps in my glass hull one bit, wouldn't want to hit one on plane in either glass or tin. But fiberglass is as easy if not easier then repairing a hole in an aluminum hull.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

silverside
03-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Well it seems to me that aluminum catches a lot of fish. That's my take away from watching Richard Gene videos! :Rofl

huntinslabs
03-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Heck for the price of a 188c you can get a Nitro Z17 or dang near a Z18.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Josie
03-25-2019, 12:05 PM
I've owned several boats both glass and aluminum. I prefer aluminum for crappie fishing. In fact I just sold my 19 foot Ranger last year since the aluminum boat gets used more than the glass. I currently own a Lowe 17 1/2 foot with 60 Johnson 2 stroke. Its been a great boat but like others have already said they do get whipped around in the wind.

Maude
03-25-2019, 06:40 PM
I have glass and the fellow I fish with most often has a nice aluminum. I prefer the glass on the TN River because we tend to travel some distance on the water and I like the security of the heavier boat when the wind gets up. I think the glass fishes better but there isn't anything wrong with aluminum. It boils down the where you fish and personal preference.

The Shootist
03-25-2019, 06:48 PM
I have a 2oo4 polar kraft about 18.5 feet long. I fish alone a lot and just pull the boat up on ramp or bank and don't worry about scratches. I also fish some small lakes and bump stumps all the time. Glass boats do ride better but I can fish all day on a couple gallons of gas with 70 hp 4 stroke...Boat glass and tin have their advantages.

Cane Pole
03-25-2019, 07:52 PM
Ima tin horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

cevans
03-25-2019, 08:03 PM
Rougher ride, and wind hurts an aluminum rig. But it will tow like a feather, and sip fuel. I vertical jig one pole a lot of the time, and smack stump after stump.... And that's why I'll always have aluminum.

Love a skinny water boat! :cheers2 Had the big bass boats and now plain Jane G3 1648 and catch way more fish!

Gbcorley
03-26-2019, 12:36 AM
I say what every you can buy that’s the newest, with the set up you want. If its a brand new tin boat over a 6 year old glass boat, that warranty alone is a decision maker for me.

Fishn buddy
03-26-2019, 07:43 AM
We have the Ranger 188C (Alum) and love it. It does get pushed around in the wind a bit, but I would say that's the only negative. The rod locker is actually 8 1/2 ft, which is harder to find than we realized. We carried our 8 ft BnM poles with us when we were shopping & were hard pressed for them to fit in many advertised 8 ft rod lockers! Also, we like how easily we can push our tin boat in and out of the garage to hook up & park, this factored very importantly in our decision. If we ever live where we can keep a boat in a dock, we may consider a glass, just too heavy to manage right now. Fishing wise, we troll jigs & pull cranks and dock shoot a whole lot and the alum works out just fine!

tim
03-26-2019, 06:05 PM
It looks like I am going with a 2013 xpress x19 with a 175 Yamaha on it.

Slabprowler
03-26-2019, 06:10 PM
You will love it ! That padded hull rides great!