HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ultrex vs Terrova.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ultrex vs Terrova.

Which should I get and why? Had an older version Terrova on my old boat. Loved using the remote for trolling but hated the foot pedal for bass fishing.

If I’m reading correctly they come with a MDI transducer now so if I buy a MDI Humminbird fish finder will I need to buy a cable to connect the two.

Thanks for response

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Waiting to read about this.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you bass fish the ultrex is the way to go. Ipilot just like your Terrova, but that new foot pedal is unbelievable in ease of operation. Only draw back is it’s not removable. Buddy has one and I can run it with ease with my bad ankle. Yes you would need a adapter cable from finder to trolling motor. Not much dollars all things considered.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I have both terrova on my pontoon and ultrex on my ranger. The terrova ia alright in open water but I would never buy another one. The ultrex is the best tool I have on my boat except the depthfinder. You will love the ultrex. JMO

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Just spent a few days running a terrova.
    I have an Ultrex on my boat.
    Ultrex definitely!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a foot pedal and are used to the cable drive trolling motors then the Ultrex is definitely the choice. I hate using a foot pedal, never have, never will. Ulterra is the way to go if you got the pockets. If not, the Terrova is excellent. I bought a 55 for my no-gas reservoir boat and an 80 for my big water boat. Love the new features. Spot-lock is excellent and so very quiet. Couldn't tell it was on a few times.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net
    Likes timd3200 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The Terrova MDI comes with cable/connector that fits Solex. You have to buy a 30 dollar adaptor cable to go to a Helix unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Lot to consider, first off is what type of thrust do you need?

Terrova is available in 12,24 and 36 volt motor options while the Ultrex is only available in 24 or 36 volt options I do believe.

Are you a person that may prefer operating the motor with the remote control? If so the Terrova foot control being a wired electric can be put away and the deck or floor space free of the foot control.

What type of budget do you have or how much of an investment do you want in the trolling motor as the difference in pricing can be quite a bit? I think for a comparable say 24 volt motor the Ultrex runs about 500.00 dollars more than the Terrova.

Personally I wanted one for a smaller boat so the 12 volt option was more than ample for my boat and the waters I normally fish.

For most people the 12 volt option also saves the cost and weight of a second trolling motor battery but in my case I run two batteries in series which doubles my battery capacity so that was not as much a consideration although I could go back to using one battery only if desired.

Also I prefer to use the remote control most times over a foot control so in my case I like having the foot control as a back up in case the remote fails or the occasional time I may want to use it but I prefer to store it and keep the limited deck space on my smaller boat clear when not using the foot control.

One other thing is on the Terrova foot control has a 18' connecting wire which allows foot control operation even towards the rear of smaller boats which some people could find to be a convenience factor as well.

So for MY use I am very happy and satisfied with the Terrova and if I were buying again tomorrow I would buy the Terrova again. But this is my opinion and my preferences that fit my use and desires.

Another person for their use and preferences may well choose the Ultrex and for them that is the best choice.

At the end of the day they are both great trolling motors and although similar in many features are different in some features. The person buying one they will be using is the only one that really decide which one fits their needs the best.

Regardless the spotlock which is shared between the two is an awesome feature to make the units worth the price of admission in my opinion.
    Thanks cva34 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Ulterra! Push a button to deploy. Push a button to retrieve. No clanking, back wrenching involved. Do it from my console or anywhere else on the boat (or bank). My perspective is formulated by my age and unwillingness to hurt my back again. I think both are super trolling motors, though

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Terrova; I prefer the remote to the foot pedal. I never use the foot pedal; it lives in a bag in the storage locker in case the remote dies.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."
    Likes vfourmax LIKED above post