PDA

View Full Version : What do you call pan fish, sunfish, etc...

BAFishBarn
03-21-2019, 02:44 PM
I know different regions call fish different things. In Oklahoma alot of people call all pan fish perch. Even though they are bluegill, sunfish, even crappie. Then I see people call them bream.

Me, I say crappie, lump all sunfish into bluegill and a perch is the actual fish species perch.

Just curious what others say

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

CrappiePappy
03-21-2019, 03:07 PM
I try and call them all by their proper names, but do tend to lump a lot of the sunfish species I'm not real familiar with as "bream" (like the Pumpkinseed, Longear Sunfish, Redbreast Sunfish, & Orange Spotted Sunfish).

Growing up I called (or actually "learned" to call) Freshwater Drum ..... White Perch :Doh: and I heard Crappie called "Newlights" (but only by my Grandpa). I never actually used that nickname, myself.

Don Fischer
03-21-2019, 03:39 PM
I like to call thing's by the real, or what I like to think is the real name. Hunter's have a bad habit of thinking up new cute names for about every thing. Can make it hard for a new guy to figure out what they are talking about. Get lost myself more than I like!

deathb4disco
03-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Then I see people call them bream.

... I'm not real familiar with as "bream"

The word "bream" is used all over the world to describe local fish. (I believe it comes from a French word.)

There's a European bream and an Australian bream. Not sure about Africa and South America, but it's likely.

wannabe fisherman
03-21-2019, 03:49 PM
when I catch enough of them I call them dinner :Rofl

SeaRay
03-21-2019, 03:56 PM
It gets worse when the scientist get it wrong, e.g., a Largemouth Bass(or any in that family) is actually in the sunfish family and a White Perch is actually in the true bass family along with the Striped and White Bass. No wonder we all get confused.

vfourmax
03-21-2019, 03:56 PM
When I was a kid my dad called crappie "silvers".

I generally if ask what fish I am fishing for will just as a general term either say "gills" or "bream" for a general reference.

Will get more specific if actually talking about what I may be catching at a particular body of water.

Ketchn
03-21-2019, 04:01 PM
I call em what the locals call em so nobody gets confused ...lol

Osnola
03-21-2019, 04:26 PM
In Southeast Louisiana, Crappie = Sac a Last, all other except for Goggle Eye are Perch...Goggle Eye may be known to some as Warmouth while a Perch is a Bream, Sunfish, Bluegill, etc.

jawjatek
03-21-2019, 05:03 PM
We call redear sunfish shellcrackers down south, or sometimes just 'crackers, but other than that I use the proper names of fish.

Clint
03-21-2019, 05:11 PM
When I lived in New England courtesy of the US Army, I was surprised to hear the locals call most pan fish "kibbies" .

Kevin22
03-21-2019, 05:19 PM
I know different regions call fish different things. In Oklahoma alot of people call all pan fish perch. Even though they are bluegill, sunfish, even crappie. Then I see people call them bream.

Me, I say crappie, lump all sunfish into bluegill and a perch is the actual fish species perch.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Around here most people call them what they are... crappie, bluegill, green sunfish, pumpkinseeds, redears, etc. I can't really think of any times ive heard them called different, except for people calling green sunfish rockbass because they are misinformed. Up in Minnesota where I frequent, they call all bluegills/sunfish "sunnies"

chaunc
03-21-2019, 06:02 PM
Call em all by their proper names except drum. I call them gaspergoos. I have a brother down at Ky Lake thatís the Goo King. Haha.

Crestliner08
03-21-2019, 06:29 PM
Up here in the Northeast, we have crappie, bluegill, pumpkin seeds, perch (white & yellow) and rock bass. Scientific or not, that's what we call 'em! :)

Lake Life
03-21-2019, 07:05 PM
I got really confused the other day. I was watching a fishing show because it said they were fishing for bluegills. Then they started catching bass and were still calling them bluegills!

BAFishBarn
03-21-2019, 09:38 PM
I call redears shell crackers too. Other than that I try to stay to the true name. I've heard of gaspergoos and sacalait. I'm guessing that's a cajun thing?

I just find it interesting what people call fish. I'm originally from New York but have lived in oklahoma since 1993 and that was a culture shock moving!! Want a pop?? Uhh.... no... I'll have a soda!

Grainraiser
03-21-2019, 10:24 PM
I grew up in Dallas here is a list on what we called them.

Sunfish Bream or Brim
Largemouth Black Bass
Crappie Crappie
White Bass Sand Bass
Bowfin Grinnell

The only changes I have made over the last 40 years is I now call bass largemouth's and Grinnell Bowfins. Everything else has remained the same.

BAFishBarn
03-22-2019, 12:52 AM
Oklahoma you say white bass and people are like what??? Sand bass is the state fish! Haha

6poundtest
03-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Ditto to what Crestliner08 said.

I've never heard the term "kibbies" for any kind of fish; that's a new one to me.

franklin fisher
03-22-2019, 07:42 PM
Ditto to what Crestliner08 said.

I've never heard the term "kibbies" for any kind of fish; that's a new one to me. Yup. What both of them said. Never heard of "kibbies" here in Maine either. Bream or Brim is another term I hadn't heard of before visiting this site.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

BAFishBarn
03-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Yup. What both of them said. Never heard of "kibbies" here in Maine either. Bream or Brim is another term I hadn't heard of before visiting this site.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)I see bream and brim online but dont hear it in Oklahoma much. Here its perch

ClearCreek
03-23-2019, 11:30 PM
It gets worse when the scientist get it wrong, e.g., a Largemouth Bass(or any in that family) is actually in the sunfish family and a White Perch is actually in the true bass family along with the Striped and White Bass. No wonder we all get confused.

This is an interesting thread.

SeaRay:

Scientists use the "scientific names" or the Latin name for species when they communicate with other scientists so there is no confusion as to what species they are referring to. A white crappie is a Pomoxis annularis in the United States or anywhere else in the world where they exist, and white crappie are members of the Centrarchidae or sunfish family.

I call fish species by the common proper names that is used in the area I grew up in (upper great plains), so I call them white crappie, black crappie, green sunfish, bluegill, walleye, sauger, channel catfish and so on.

The one thing I do not like is when people shorten a fishes name and call bluegill "gills" or walleye "eyes". To me, those are parts of a fish and not the name of a fish.

ClearCreek

Rockhitter
03-24-2019, 03:08 PM
I call redear either shell crackers or strawberries.
Bluegill are just bluegill or gills.
When asked what I am fishing for I usually respond bream.

wannabe fisherman
03-24-2019, 04:17 PM
I call redear either shell crackers or strawberries.
Bluegill are just bluegill or gills.
When asked what I am fishing for I usually respond bream.

when I'm asked what I'm fishing for I usually say "whatever I catch" :Rofl

SeaRay
04-01-2019, 04:47 PM
This is an interesting thread.

SeaRay:

Scientists use the "scientific names" or the Latin name for species when they communicate with other scientists so there is no confusion as to what species they are referring to. A white crappie is a Pomoxis annularis in the United States or anywhere else in the world where they exist, and white crappie are members of the Centrarchidae or sunfish family.

I call fish species by the common proper names that is used in the area I grew up in (upper great plains), so I call them white crappie, black crappie, green sunfish, bluegill, walleye, sauger, channel catfish and so on.

The one thing I do not like is when people shorten a fishes name and call bluegill "gills" or walleye "eyes". To me, those are parts of a fish and not the name of a fish.

ClearCreek

You are correct when it comes to biologist or scientist talking to each other. I was actually referring to the fishing charts that most state natural resources publish with picture and common names of either fresh or saltwater fish. Those long multi-syllable names are probably why us common folks started calling everything "Bream". LOL.

Techno2000
04-01-2019, 09:31 PM

Around here the general term for sunfish is... perch.

Techno2000
04-01-2019, 09:47 PM

We call crappie ..."sac-a-lait" (soc-co-lay) it's french for "sack of milk" it comes from the color and sweet flavor of the fish's flesh.

Spoonminnow
04-02-2019, 08:18 AM
Steve Quinn, an In-Fisherman
editor, defines panfish quite broadly. He includes bluegills and
pumpkinseeds, crappie, white bass, yellow perch, and some bluegill
relatives down south “a number of these smaller species.”

its definition and usage varies with geographical region.

I've always thought panfish were anything other than catfish, pickerel, bass, carp, muskie and other species that can grow quite large (over 5 lbs.) Of course any fish if small enough can fit into a large frying pan after filleted which include bass, catfish, etc. Panfish can't be defined by lure size because even crappie will strike a large swimbait:
https://i.imgur.com/bVGedci.jpg?2