HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WHAT COLOR LED'S FOR CRAPPIE AT NIGHT ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default WHAT COLOR LED'S FOR CRAPPIE AT NIGHT ???

I love to crappie fish at night more so than day time. I use (2) green submergible LED lights currently, one near the front and one near the rear of the boat. I'm wanting to install some LED light strips just under the rub rail to shine on the water surface. My question is which color is more productive for Crappie... Green or White. Back in the 90's I used the white floating lamps and the Aqua Star submergible. Caught lots of Crappie with them just killed the battery in 6 or 7 hours. When LED's hit the market I started using the Green LED 2ft submergible sticks. Would love to get opinions of the members of tried and tested colors that work BEST before installing the LED strip lights. Found some I really like from Southern Lite LED. Thank you for your feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you do any good fishing at night like this? I'm planning on doing the same thing tomorrow night. Never have crappie fished at night but my idea was to drop the light, anchor the boat and wait with poles tipped with minnows in the water. The light I bought today has green LED.
    On the box if says that green attracts plankton. Which In turn attracts bait fish then the big fish is what it says. Hopefully it works just like that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks Rammer1961 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rammer1961 View Post
    I love to crappie fish at night more so than day time. I use (2) green submergible LED lights currently, one near the front and one near the rear of the boat. I'm wanting to install some LED light strips just under the rub rail to shine on the water surface. My question is which color is more productive for Crappie... Green or White. Back in the 90's I used the white floating lamps and the Aqua Star submergible. Caught lots of Crappie with them just killed the battery in 6 or 7 hours. When LED's hit the market I started using the Green LED 2ft submergible sticks. Would love to get opinions of the members of tried and tested colors that work BEST before installing the LED strip lights. Found some I really like from Southern Lite LED. Thank you for your feedback.
    I am still old school and use halogen spotlights with my Honda generator. My buddy has been trying led's and only the white work somewhat. I can anchor next to him and catch 5 to his 1 so I have chosen to stick with old school

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of shrimping at night and a lot of flounder gigging in past. Green light will not give you night blindness when you look up from light and look at surroundings. Green under water seems to bring in more minnows than white, but white seems to penetrate the water further to my eyes.
    Likes hdhntr, skiptomylu LIKED above post

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I also used the white floating headlights where they were all that were available. The key was to cast beyond the light circle then swim you bait back through the circle and out the other side. Sometimes I would receive a hit before the bait swim into the light circle but most of the hits came as the bait swam back out of the light circle.

I switched to a green halogen underwater light for my slip when I found them. I found they did an excellent job of attracting plankton/bait fish. The crappie were still the same, ambushing the minnows just outside the light circle. White and LMB would move into the light circle, chasing the minnows. It is fun watching the white bass swimming upside down inside the circle of light.

When the green led's came out I bought a good portable green light stick to use with my boat. I also run green led lights around the edge of the boat. Both would have minnows swimming in the green light within an hour of turning them on and the crappie would again be ambushing the minnows outside the circle of light.

Ketchn has me starting to fish under a float. Trouble is I can't see the float beyond a few feet at night. So he told me to get some green light sticks and attach one to my float. I tried it last night. There was five people fishing lighted floats last night. One had a white light on his float, two had red lights and two of us had green lights. The two green light floats caught more crappie last night than the other three, using white and red lights. Since it was only one night it might not prove anything. But it proved enough for me to order 250 green light sticks from China this morning. Enough to keep me in green lights for floats for the next year when they arrive.
    (250pcs /50packs Night Fishing Float sticks Lights Chemical Luminous Glow light Stick in Green Color $14.49)

So my choice based on my experience is green light beats white light. Plus as said, the green does not mess up your night vision.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid. -Ben Franklin
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Any day I'm fishing is a good day, regardless of what I catch.
    Likes Rammer1961 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I tried a green light last night here in Mississippi, and our dingy dirty water did absolutely nothing. Dropped the light 5' and you couldn't even tell the was a light down there. Did not even get a single bite. $35 down the drain. Oh well live and learn. The kids and I did have fun night fishing though

Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pithon View Post
    Well I tried a green light last night here in Mississippi, and our dingy dirty water did absolutely nothing. Dropped the light 5' and you couldn't even tell the was a light down there. Did not even get a single bite. $35 down the drain. Oh well live and learn. The kids and I did have fun night fishing though

Dropping lights on a full moon is not near as productive as a dark night. Don't throw the towel in yet. Green lights have been the demise of many limits.

Sent from my Z983 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes Rammer1961, hdhntr, skiptomylu LIKED above post

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, I should have made myself clearer. The green light led strips I use under the edge of my pontoon are for surface illumination only. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-SU.../dp/B00BSODFOK

This is the unit I bought for my pontoon which does a great job of pulling in minnows and crappie. LED 84 Watt, Fishing Light, 10,368 Lumens w/ Accs. | green-glow-dock
    I use this unit 3-4 feet below the surface of the water, along with the led strips on the pontoon.

This is the green underwater light I use for one of my slips. Brilliant Green 14,000 Lumen Kit w/50''' Cord | green-glow-dock I place this about 10' from the end of the slip, 6-10 foot deep, depending on the water quality. This one I leave on 24 hours a day, even through they recommend 12 hours per day.

I would use the unit you have about 1 foot under the water. All you are trying to do is attract the plankton, which attracts the minnows, which attract the game fish. Your unit will work fine for that, just don't go very deep.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid. -Ben Franklin
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Any day I'm fishing is a good day, regardless of what I catch.
    Likes Rammer1961 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a lot at night and catch plenty of fish, I also use the green drop sticks in the water but I use led light bars mounted to my rail of the pontoon, they are super bright and I have baitfish by the 1000's jumping all around my boat most nights, while my brother in law uses only a blacklight and doesn't have near as many baitfish. I run 4 of these lights all night on one 12 v marine battery. Check them out. I did put some green film over them just to soften the light a touch, they are super bright and will attract the fish. My friend and I were fishing side by side one evening spider rigging last summer when I turned these lights on at dark he had to leave they were so bright lol. He ordered him some after that.Name:  Capture%2B_2018-07-23-11-13-55.jpeg
Views: 1667
Size:  59.3 KBName:  0722181427_HDR.jpeg
Views: 1599
Size:  80.1 KB

Sent from my VS988 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Rammer1961, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fished with a combination of both white and green a few years back they worked so well at drawing in minnows there must have been a million of 'em; which made my little minnow lost in the crowd we didn't catch nothing that night but you could see the crappie bust'en threw the bait ball just too much competition for my bait to get noticed.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast