Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: favorite size jig heads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default favorite size jig heads?

What are you favorite size jig heads? 1/16, 1/4, or 1/8?

Post Thanks / Like

We have no favorites in our gang. We use from 1/48th to 1/4th oz., depending on water depth, wind conditions, and current.

Post Thanks / Like

all i use is 1/16 ounce

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/16oz mostly but I do use 1/8oz in deeper water.
    Spindle Guide Service
    Lake Ray Roberts
    940-727-3493
    www.spindleguideservice.com

THUMP It JIGS

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Most often .....

I'm using a 1/16oz .... but, will use 1/32oz (when size matters, fish are shallow, or fish want a slower fall). When fish are deeper than 12-15ft ... I may go to a 1/8oz (if necessary to get deeper, quicker). It may also depend on the method I'm using, retrieve speed necessary to keep the bait in the strike zone, or the bait I'm using.

........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use /16th and /8th almost exclusively. Any heavier and find hang ups become a relevent issue.
    But within those weights I try and carry a variety so atleast something will appeal to the finicky little things.

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 and 1/32. I tip the ends of my hooks with those white maggot-looking Powerbaits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troop
    1/16 and 1/32. I tip the ends of my hooks with those white maggot-looking Powerbaits.
    How do those work for you? I've seen them and the nibbles but never noticed a difference in strikes or catches with the nibbles so i never tried the powerbaits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieAngler
    How do those work for you? I've seen them and the nibbles but never noticed a difference in strikes or catches with the nibbles so i never tried the powerbaits.

I swear by them. Though there are times when the fish will bite on anything, the majority of the time these little powerbaits get 10X more bites than having nothing at all.

Down here, the top hook tippers tend to be shiners, corn and grass shrimp. Other than the shiners, I think the Powerbait maggots reign supreme.

And they stay on what seems like forever!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troop
    I swear by them. Though there are times when the fish will bite on anything, the majority of the time these little powerbaits get 10X more bites than having nothing at all.

Down here, the top hook tippers tend to be shiners, corn and grass shrimp. Other than the shiners, I think the Powerbait maggots reign supreme.

And they stay on what seems like forever!!
    Yeah i've used ice jigs tipped with maggots... provided some great results. And up until this latest high wind cool front moved in the crappie were hitting hard almost all day on shiners about 3' down.
    But since this weather has moved in, i've changing depths, baits, jigs, colors, spinners... you name it i've thrown it out there. Just aren't biting for nothing right now. Ya might pull a small one out after 10 hours on the water but thats about it.
    Hopefully the warmer weather comes in and the trends of the last few weeks repeats itself again.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-15-2007 at 12:03 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast