PDA

View Full Version : Wade fishing

barrelslime
03-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Im gonna do some wading soon and I'm putting a small carry box together to carry with me. What are some things, essentials I need in the carry box? Other essential I might need to take along.

missed mallards
03-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Something to measure the fish with!
Pliers/multi tool

And whatever else u wish to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deathb4disco
03-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Im gonna do some wading soon and I'm putting a small carry box together to carry with me. What are some things, essentials I need in the carry box? Other essential I might need to take along.

You might consider a fly vest, a chest pack, or a lanyard instead of a box. Any of them can carry all you need and are incredibly handy.

wolfhnd
03-20-2019, 11:53 AM
A walking stick is a necessary tool not only for stability but as a probe, snake weapon, and something to lean on.

TennHaynes
03-20-2019, 12:36 PM
PDF will help when you step off in a hole.

Smitty39365
03-20-2019, 01:41 PM
PDF will help when you step off in a hole.

PFD definitely! Know two guys that nearly drowned after waders filled up when they fell of into a creek run they didnít know was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

tlefire
03-20-2019, 04:44 PM
PFD definitely! Know two guys that nearly drowned after waders filled up when they fell of into a creek run they didn’t know was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Wear a belt around your waders at waist level....won't fill up with water.

Erin Brewer
03-20-2019, 05:08 PM
Dont forget a stringer.... The small rope stringers are what I prefer simply because they are small... as far as the pfd is concerned its definantly a good practice and most of all good to take a friend along....

Alphahawk
03-20-2019, 07:18 PM
While it is a good idea to wear a PFD your waders will not cause you to sink if they fill up with water. Way before I ever started wade fishing for trout went to a safety class at a pool and jumped in with waders on. Not only did I not sink I floated. Iíve been fishing several times and seen guys step in a hole and completely disappear for about 2 seconds.....then pop right back up.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

shaved ice
03-20-2019, 07:51 PM
I agree with alphahawk waders won't nessasarily drag you down , it's just hard to swim in them, darn hard. but even if you have water in your waders it's not any heavier than the water outside of your waders. but it's when you try to climb out of the water , all the extra weight from the water in the waders is hard to overcome if there is a lot. but the best thing is wear a belt , and a pfd and stay calm.

skeetbum
03-24-2019, 04:30 AM
You have to remember that Iím in FL where I used to wade some of the grassy lakes in the Ocala National Forest. I wouldnít get far without a .22 revolver loaded with shotshells. Only used it twice but was glad I had it. Foreceps on a retractor was my best friend for removing fish.

wolfhnd
03-24-2019, 10:50 AM
You have to remember that I’m in FL where I used to wade some of the grassy lakes in the Ocala National Forest. I wouldn’t get far without a .22 revolver loaded with shotshells. Only used it twice but was glad I had it. Foreceps on a retractor was my best friend for removing fish.

I carried a gun when I was younger. One time I was caught by ranger shooting floating cans on Corp by a Park Ranger. He just asked me to stop and left. Those days are long gone.

Grainraiser
03-24-2019, 12:31 PM
The best advice I can give a wade fisherman is to use a very cheap reel. Trying to remove a fish from a 10ft rod while keeping your reel out of the water is very difficult.