Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on use of lake maps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on use of lake maps

I've been thinking about buying a Lakemaster Map Card to use on local lake. The lake is on the map card. Now I have second guessed myself. Why do I need it? I have a Helix 10 G2N. So I travel the lake with unit on looking for crappie. If I have a map on my unit how does that help me find crappie? All I will be seeing is a contour map of lake. What am 1 not understanding?
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake map contours are helpful if/when you're wanting to stay in a certain depth or work over a flat. It's just a broader view of the whole area of the lake you're on. The only downside I can see is that it takes up a good portion of your screen when being used. (which is probably why you see some boats with two or three units at the bow &/or the console)

I'll find out for myself this year, as I have a map chip in my Hook 7 (first time for me having a map chip)

Post Thanks / Like

Simple it let's you see river and creek channels, also ledges and any other defined contours of the lake. Crappie typically relate to such features. Also, if you find them in a certain depth of water you can set your depth highlight to pin point the entire lake with that depth of water. You can also set your shallow water highlight to let you know if you venture into real skinny water. With the helix 10 you won't have any issues running split screen, map and 2d or map with si or di. Once you get the lakemaster map card you will wonder how you ever fished without one.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.. Can I adjust the split screen such as 60% on one side and 40 on other?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember if you can move the screen. I have a Helix 9 and map cards. I have found that on some of the views the map can be smaller or larger. I am debating the card also, but I have Auto Chart Pro to make my own maps. Plus if I am not mistaken you have Auto Chart Live. I really like using it, as the rivers and creeks that I fish are not on any card. So I bought an extra Zero LinesCard for the console unit, record on it put it in Auto Chart I now have a map. AC Live records directly to a card ready to use. I am looking into buying Contour Elite card for my PC. Also for the few lakes near me I purchased the Chart Select lakes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gansett View Post
    Thanks.. Can I adjust the split screen such as 60% on one side and 40 on other?
    Yes sir you can.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I find a lot of my summer crappie using my Lake Master contour lines. If you find contour lines that indicate a sharp point that drops into deep water there's a good chance it will hold crappie. Any step drop off a flat is worth a look especially if the drop is rocky. You would have a hard time keying in on those areas without a map card. I've got the same Helix 10 g2 and I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I used it today for first time and really liked it. I can explore a bunch of water from afar while also eliminating other areas. Didn't fish much just played with my new toy mostly.