Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor interference with my new Garmin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor interference with my new Garmin

Went for a second test run today and took my trolling motor this time. When I turn it on I get interference right away. My boat is is small and it's all connected to the same battery. I moved the transducer wire as far away from the trolling motor and and couldn't get it to clear up. Below is a picture of my setup and a picture of the interference on the sonar you can see where I turn the motor on and then turned it off. How can I fix this?. Name:  IMG_20190316_154007779_HDR.jpeg
Views: 3945
Size:  130.2 KBName:  IMG_20190316_171240473_HDR.jpeg
Views: 3488
Size:  189.7 KBName:  IMG_20190316_171301594.jpeg
Views: 4201
Size:  111.6 KB

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to explain using a ferrite ring for getting rid of interference. Ferrite Ring source/info. You might need to wrap your depth finder power wire in one or transducer wire even.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Is this supposed to help interference? I didn't know what it was and I haven't put it on there. Name:  IMG_20190316_202033071.jpeg
Views: 3881
Size:  64.9 KB

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this is a Ferrite ring clamp on model. Put it on and it might clear up your interference. Read the link to learn also. Be sure to give the cable a wrap thru it.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 10point View Post
    Went for a second test run today and took my trolling motor this time. When I turn it on I get interference right away. My boat is is small and it's all connected to the same battery. I moved the transducer wire as far away from the trolling motor and and couldn't get it to clear up. Below is a picture of my setup and a picture of the interference on the sonar you can see where I turn the motor on and then turned it off. How can I fix this?. Name:  IMG_20190316_154007779_HDR.jpeg
Views: 3945
Size:  130.2 KBName:  IMG_20190316_171240473_HDR.jpeg
Views: 3488
Size:  189.7 KBName:  IMG_20190316_171301594.jpeg
Views: 4201
Size:  111.6 KB

I had the same issue only mine was worse than what you have in the picture. I got mine cleared up completely but it was a chore. I did the following steps, it got a little better each time;
    1. Made sure my transduce cable wasn't coiled up and ran a twisted pair power cable to the garmin unit. ( helped slightly)
    2. Added a ferite coil to the the trolling motor power cable and the garmin power cable. ( again helped a little)
    3. Added a ground wire to the trolling motor skag. ( Helped)
    4. Disconnected my 3 bank charger from the starting battery ( interference gone)

I bet if you use a different power source for you Garmin that your problem goes away. Your interference doesnt look that bad

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try using the battery from my portable ice fishing unit.

Post Thanks / Like

1. I ran separate power and ground from my starting battery- helped very little
    2. I ran from my ground wire to unit an added ground and ran to skeg on trolling motor driller and chipped paint around the hole-helped some.

But still have interference. Might try taking 3rd bank from charger off starting battery next time out!