Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7'6" rod question

Post Thanks / Like

Default 7'6" rod question

fixin to order some Road Runner heads from Cabelas, and was checkin out the Ozark 7'6'' rod they sell. Anybody have some input on this model rod??
    Have read some good things about Richard Williams rods, but have not heard any updates on where to order them from now.
    Most of my fishing consists of casting road runners, 1/32 - 1/8 oz jigs and some of my own concoctions. I've never used a crappie rod over 6'6'' for casting the above baits, (one reason my 1/32oz supply doesn't get used much) so not real sure I'll be comfortable with a 7 1/2 foot rod, but it seems to be the deal for alot of folks on here??
    Thanks for any experienced advice, TT

on the road again...... just can't wait to get back to........... TOLEDO BEND !!
    on the road again...just can't wait to get back to...TOLEDO BEND

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had one in my hands yet, but I've been looking at them at Cabelas. I like the idea of higher modulus blanks in crappie rods. It makes them a little stiffer, but way more sensitive. The price sure looks right and with Cabelas warranty I'd seriously consider getting one. I'm one that prefers stiffer rods anyways. For jig fishing you get just that much faster hook set, and sometimes that can make the difference with light biters.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

GRIZZ - you talkin better hookset due to a stiffer rod or longer rod

Post Thanks / Like

rangertee- i use a 8 foot wally marshall mighty light for casting jigs and it works pretty great and im comfortable with it.

Post Thanks / Like

texarkana -- appreciate the input. I snapped an older model (green rod) Wally Marshall 6'6" last week on a dang gaspergooooooooooo. Bout a 5lb fish and I just lifted straight up to move him towards me a little, didn't pull him out of the water, and the rod snapped. BPS replaced it and while I was there I picked up a Micro Lites rod (7'6") to try. Headed back to the lake Tuesday to check it out, but I'd really like to know more about those Ozark rods and the Richard Williams. Something else that puzzles me is everybody talkin about gettin replacement tips for these long rods. Why are they breakin so much??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cabelas 'Whuppin Stick'

Cabelas also makes a rod they call a Whupping Stick -- looks very much like an Ugly Stick except blue color. 10 year Warranty. Have regular rods in L and M action, and Crappie Rods in L action only. Am thinking about buying some of the Med action to troll with. Anybody familiar with these ? Thanks, Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I own 2 7'6" ozark rods and they have become my go to rods i just wont pick up any of the shorter rods anymore,they are very sensitive and you can sling a jig a mile with one of em....give one a try you'll be glad you did.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

we custom build a 7-6" rod here on Eufaula lake Oklahoma I set it up with a 6"
    kicker removable extension to make it 8' overall a very versitile rod,I list theserods as mag lite action 4.0 ozs overall weight....if you guys would like more info send me a P.M.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 8 ft' Whuppin Stick and for the money it's a nice rod.It does weigh alot though especially if you plan on casting or holding it all day long,I much prefer the Wally Marshall rods for that kind of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangertee
    BPS replaced it and while I was there I picked up a Micro Lites rod (7'6") to try.
    I have two of the 7'6" Micro Lites. I think they're great for casting light jigs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast