Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marabou vs. rubber

Post Thanks / Like

Default marabou vs. rubber

Hey Ive seen alot of people talking about the success that they've had on marabou jigs but I havnt really ever tried them. Ive usually just stuck to the rubber curl tails and tubes. What do you guys and gals perfer out of rubber or marabou?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have used both soft plastic/rubber grubs and marabou jigs. I have caught crappie and panfish on both. For me marabou works better in the colder mounths. I use both casting, vertical jigging and under a bobber.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

marabou, seem to have more action in the water, and last 10 times as long. Esp wooley booger jigs, as they have the plastic body molded to and all around the hook. With the slide on type after 6 or 7 fish it is time to change. With wooley booger I have used the same jig and caught over 100 fish and it was still very usuable , but I hung it and lost it.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

With a double jig rig, I use them both. Hair on top, plastic on the bottom. Whatever is working best is what I tend to use. Personally, I believe hair and marabou attract them better because it is more visual.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I say stick with rubber! I have never liked marabou much unless I am using the jig under a cork method.
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I don't limit myself ....

to one or the other. I try and keep a good selection of several different types ... marabou, soft plastic, feathers, hair, plastic/marabou, hard plastic, etc. Then I feel like I can make use of most any method that I would want to use, under whatever condition I might be faced with, and give the fish whatever they wanted, on whatever body of water I'm fishing.
    Even so, I do find myself using plastics, more often than not. And, that's due, in part, to the fact that I tend to cast a lone jig, most of the time. The exceptions are mostly when trolling longline (marabou or plastic/marabou), casting open water (marabou RR's), Vertical Casting (marabou), and occasionally when dock shooting (marabou or plastic).

....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use both, I have used plastic a lot longer than the hand tied jigs however I have been real pleased with the production I have had with some of skips jigs from Thump It Jigs. You can get more flash with the marabou style jigs this could be an advantage at times that the fish are not as active.
    Cliff
    Spindle Guide Service
    Lake Ray Roberts
    940-727-3493
    www.spindleguideservice.com

THUMP It JIGS

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys.. looks like im goin to have to try some hand tied jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabmaster09
    thanks guys.. looks like im goin to have to try some hand tied jigs.
    With a good hand tied jig it will out last any soft plastic by a lot. The feathers will fade and ware away before they are done. Catching 100 fish it not a rare thing with hand tied jig and if you don't get hung up and lose it it will serve you very well.

Just think how nice it would be to not have to keep changing the tail our because it's all tore up. Just keep fishing?

Take a look at my web site and if I can help let me know!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Both. Marabou is marabou, and will likely always be accepted as the "king" of hand-tied jigs. And until recently, I had not found a soft plastic which set itself apart from the others. A few months ago, I was encouraged to try Bobby Garland jigs. Like marabou, you can't hold them still, but unlike marabou, they have scent already impregnated. Like I said, I still fish both. But in all the crappie fishing I've done since trying the new soft bodies (15-20trips), I've only had marabou out-fish Bobby Garland soft plastics one time. Even when I add crappie nibbles to the marabou it usually comes up short. I can't tell you how many times I've had to share them with buddies 'cause I was out catching them 5-1. What's funny is that even though I'm excited (as I'm sure you can tell) that I've found something that works so well...I'm a little sad, 'cause I'm addicted to tying jigs. Guess I'll have to start giving some away here and there if I want to keep tying, 'cause I'm sure not wearing them out like I used to.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast