Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to learn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ready to learn

My name is , Darin. I have a Bass Tracker with a 40ph Mercury. Also I just bought an installed a Garmin ECHOMAP Plus 93sv with a GT52 transducer (side imaging and down imaging it compatible with Live scope). I have done some crappie in the past (very little experience) however I have never used any kind of electronic for fishing. I live in Shreveport, LA. I’m looking for a good crappie lake near me. Willing to travel 1-2 hours.

I have done a lot of reading about Crappie fishing and electronic. It seems it really helps out with finding and catching crappie. So I’m ready to learn how to properly use the Garmin. The closest lake to me is Cross Lake in Shreveport, LA. Cross Lake is a shallow lake ( average depth is 4-8ft deep, a very few spots 10-15ft deep). Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Central Florida. Hope you find your mentor. Ask all the questions you want, that’s what we’re here for.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board. Check out the electronics page. Its filled with good info

Sent from my SM-J737T using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

May want to check with the guys over on the la board to! Welcome to the board and good fishin!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I too am a crappie fishing Rookie. I have learned a bunch from folks on here. Like they said above go to the LA Board and also the electronics board. Also, Bass Boat central has a board just for the Garmin. Good luck and Happy fishing....

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard! You've landed on the best site for the best teaching by the best crappie fishermen.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Darin, welcome aboard. There are two great crappie lakes near you on the Texas side. One is Lake of the Pines, about an hour and 15 minutes from you and Toledo Bend about an hour. Both are great for crappie. LOP is smaller and will be easier to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome
    You are striking distance to some of the best waters in the country.
    I’ll add Caddo, Red river , Erling, Black Lake, plus about 6 more smaller lakes.
    Also Bistineau if they ever get the Giant Salvinia under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

welcome, good to have you here

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Louisiana has some of the best crappie fishing in this country. I lived for several years in the New Orleans area so I can't help you much about the Shreveport area. I personally would fish the smaller lakes as the crowds will be much worse on the more popular well known lakes. I would suggest that you purchase a map of the lake, choose a small area of the lake and learn it well before moving on to another section of the lake.

I have the Bass Buggy DLX 18 with the Mercury 40hp Bigfoot on it. It is a good crappie fishing rig unless you are into the hit and run bass fishing mode. The pontoon does present a large surface area when the wind is blowing, especially if you have the top up. I recommend buying the largest trolling motor you can afford for it. When I bought the salesman insisted I only needed a 12v, 50# thrust for it but I insisted on buying a 24v, 80# unit. I quickly discover that unit could not control the pontoon on a windy day. I now have a 36v, 112# unit which has done a great job so far.

I have just bought the same Garmin unit you have along with the Live Scope transducer. So I'm also new on it and am learning to use it. Don't know if Live Scope will improve my catching but it is fun to use. There are a lot of good videos on Youtube about the Plus 93sv unit so I would suggest watching them to help you get started. Also watch SK Crappie Fishing Adventures on Youtube for some good tips on crappie fishing.
    Thanks cva34 thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast