Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Quick 4 Stroke Info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Quick 4 Stroke Info

I bought a fantastic used boat today with a Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroker on it. I did not get the books with it yet and I wondered about the starting instructions. Do you pump the bulb up tight? Does it even have a choke? Anything else I need to know? Oh yes does it burn regular or premium? What are the top RPMs for 60 hp 4 strokes? So much to learn, they are so different than the old 2 cycles I had forever. Thanks In Advance! Speck

Post Thanks / Like

Speck, I have the Merc 60 4stroke of which the powerhead is from Yamaha. Pump the bulb as ussual. I'm assuming the choke is in the key start. I seldom have to use the choke, but if need be, just push in the key to choke it. Will burn regular or premium but I definately try to stay away from ethanol,-- advice from my Merc mechanic. Top rpms for mine-6000. I would think you could probably go to a yamaha website and down load an owners manual for your motor.
    take care

Post Thanks / Like

Speck, congratulations on the new motor. I have a 40 HP now for 2 years and I feel that it's the best money that I ever spent.

Mine in a 2002 model made in Nov 2001. My dealer said the only thing they changed was the stickers. It doesn't have a choke, at lease mine doesn't. You punp up the bulb hard and it'll start every time. My model uses a coil devise that when cool, cold, enriches the carburators and may even put in some gas. As the motor warms or may warm from the iners of the device it pulls a plunger and then it's totally off. But it's not a choke as we're use to in the past. The 60 may be different from the 40 and 50. My friend has a 2 stroke and his uses the same devise as mine.

My motor is rated for 5000 to 6000 RPM. Mine turned 6200 when I got it and I played around with props until I got it down to about 5600 with me and 5400 with another person with me. I think I now have about 5 or 6 props.
    It's always nice to have a spare one around.

I have 126 hours on it. Use regular gas, and I change the oil and the lower unit grease every 50 hours after the first 10 hour break in. I use Mobil 1 and It doesn't use any oil between changes. It uses less gas than my old 20 HP Mercury on a smaller boat. I think you'll love it.

All the information is on their web page and there are some others on the net that have the complete service manual also. If you have trouble finding it, let me know and I'll dig up the address for you.

Good boating
    Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by Speck
    I bought a fantastic used boat today with a Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroker on it. I did not get the books with it yet and I wondered about the starting instructions. Do you pump the bulb up tight? Does it even have a choke? Anything else I need to know? Oh yes does it burn regular or premium? What are the top RPMs for 60 hp 4 strokes? So much to learn, they are so different than the old 2 cycles I had forever. Thanks In Advance! Speck
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Speck check this out

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/

Look under parts and service

Put in your information, I looked at a 2002, F60 and went to carburetors and I think item 31 is what you looking at. The item that "chokes' the motor. It's called fuel inricher and is controled by I think 2 wires. They also have copies of the manuals on line. I didn't look up your, but I would think it will be there.

Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by Speck
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

I took it out and what a motor! It had only been used a very little and it started right up no prob. It was a little cold natured for a minute and then it was fine after that. Incredible gas milage and a strong motor too. I am sold on the 4 strokes! Thanks for the help, I will check out the online manuals! Speck

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 stroke

I bought a Carolina Skiff 198DLX last October - I had a 4 stroke put on it - Mine is a Johnson 90hp - I was told then it was a Suzuki with a Johnson cover because Johnson did not have 4 stroke technology - I paid $1400 extra to get the 4 stroke - It has more than likely already paid for itself in gas because I crappie fish and troll and fish for flounder and gig at night as well as taking long boat rides up and down the ICW with my wife - I have a 27 gallon tank and have been over 200 miles before I stopped to fill up again - my old 50 hp 2 stroke Johnson would not go 20 miles on a 6 gallon tank - and another major plus is you can have a conversation wiyhout yelling running @ 5000 RPM - It is unreal how quiet it runs - I run mine enough I do not even have to squeeze the bulb and it will fire right up - my problem is putting fuel in my truck to tow hte boat up and down the road
    Good Luck with your new motor I think you will really enjoy it :D

Crap-King
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Speck ...

If it doesn't already have one - get a Stainless Steel Prop for it. Then you'll really see how "strong" those Yammys are .... :D

My 1985 70HP Yamahammer will turn 5200rpm at full tilt and WOT ... pushing my little 15.5ft ProBass Glasstream along at a nice little clip. I have a "cutdown" SS Merc prop on it, and it gets outta the hole and on plane in about 3 boat lengths ...

Should I ever get a "new" outfit ... you can bet I'm going to do all I can to see to it that it has a Yamaha 4stroker on it !! ..... luck2ya ....cp