HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spooning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spooning

For those that use spoons in the winter and summer, I have some questions. I've been playing with them here and there for a long time but have never had much success.

Last night I marked a lot of fish in the mouth of a cove, not knowing what they were, I dropped a Binks spoon down there and caught one crappie. Could not catch any more after that.

I've got my sonars dialed in pretty good so that I can see the spoon very clearly. Had several fish that would follow it upwards for short time and then leave.

What kind of action do you guys like to use with a spoon? Do you rip it pretty hard with a long sweep, or softer and shorter, only pulling up the spoon a foot or so?

The few fish that I have caught on a spoon, hit when I was just jiggling the spoon and pulling it slowly upward, like the ice fishing guys do with jigs.

Anyone like to tip them with a nibble? What about a minnow head?

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding action while ice fishing, my research and reading indicates that just jiggling and tipping with the minnow head is a preferred combination for crappie. I bet it would work open water fishing just as well.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I use spoons and jigs in the winter while ice fishing. You have to determine what kind of mood the fish are in. I will start aggressive to see if I get any interest. I use my electronics to watch my spoon. I will work it pretty hard with aggressive hifts to see if I have any takers. If that doesn't work,I will slow my presentation down. Sometimes I will barely jig it. Sometimes I will just "tickle"my rod. I watch my electronics the whole time to see what the fish are doing. I will tip my spoon with wax worms,maggots or minnows.

Sent from my LML212VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by patrapper View Post
    I use spoons and jigs in the winter while ice fishing. You have to determine what kind of mood the fish are in. I will start aggressive to see if I get any interest. I use my electronics to watch my spoon. I will work it pretty hard with aggressive hifts to see if I have any takers. If that doesn't work,I will slow my presentation down. Sometimes I will barely jig it. Sometimes I will just "tickle"my rod. I watch my electronics the whole time to see what the fish are doing. I will tip my spoon with wax worms,maggots or minnows.

I have a lot of fond memories working a swedish pimple with a minnow head in Minnesota. Caught a lot of walleyes and crappie on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use a Hali spoon. It comes in a variety of colors and sizes. It has a single hook at the end of a chain at the bottom of the spoon I tip the hook with wax worms,maggots or minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

While I have never been ice fishing I use spoons often so I will offer what works for me. First off, spoons where I fish are like everything else. Presentation tactics vary by season. In colder water I don’t move the spoon much. Pretty much dead sticking. In warmer water I let the spoon pretty much free fall to the bottom using a bait casting reel. If the spoon makes it to the bottom I start bringing it up slowly. If I missed a strike on the way down I will expect a strike at the same depth on the way back up.

Generally speaking, if I raise the spoon sharply and let it fall back I will catch either White Bass or Striper. If I jig it slowly like I would a crappie jig I will catch crappie.

Thats my best short answer.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post
    Thanks wolfhnd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use jerks but only about an inch at a time until I'm up a couple feet and than wiggle and jiggle slowly down. If I get lookers I change shapes, sizes, and colors. An some days they just don't want a spoon and just come in for a look.

Post Thanks / Like

I started using a gold Katmaster this year ice fishing, we tipped with grubs or spikes. Caught some nice Crappie, jigging up and down and the slowing moving up when you could see them chase it. I did find that the spoon was harder to detect on the Vexilar because of shape. Have never tried in open water but might give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Hopkins NO=EQL with a feather and tinsel trailer or white bucktail dressed hook. If I want a faster fall I go with the Hopkins Shorty and a bare hook. I've caught a lot of crappie by drifting through the school and imparting minimal action to the spoon. Instead of ripping it up and letting fall back fast, I drop my wrist where the rod tip drops 8" to a foot, then I slowly bring it up & drop it again. It takes a bit of practice, but it is productive once you get the feel. If you get into stripers, hang on, because they crush it & go.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

3 actions for spoons for me.

If the fish are inactive I will get above them with the sonar and vertical jig them by watching the bait on the screen. Just little twitches and keep lifting up real slow as you do it until you feel the hit or weight of the fish

The other two ways work good if the fish are active. I'll cast it out and let it fall to the depth the fish are and give it quick pops, probably 8" or so at a time and work it back. You'll have to work it faster the heavier the spoon is. The last way is if they are wanting a dying bait look, I'll use a flutter type spoon and cast it. Let it fall until you know its below the fish, then give it a big swooping lift (long rod is needed) and let it fall again. You'll see your line jump or the lure stop falling when they hit this way.