HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to use

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to use

Alright, my question is, what do you all use when the water is very cold and looks like hot chocolate. After all the rain we've had the water looked like hot chocolate.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use anything, because I don't fish in those conditions.
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I had an opportunity to get out of the house today, that's what I had to work with, and did what I could. And my way of thinking, I can't catch nothing sitting on the couch, or in front of my desk...but thank you for the reply CP
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I don't use anything, because I don't fish in those conditions.
    I second this for myself as well, those are the times I use the tv remote!

Post Thanks / Like

Tough conditions for sure! If you know where there is a brush pile or channel cut, I'd start there with a marabou jig (chartreuse), under a slip bobber. Start out the the jig just off the bottom. Slow retrieve. Adjust up another 6" and repeat and repeat. Eventually, if your tenacious enough, you get bit. Hardest part is keep an optimistic attitude. Fishing is a confidence game.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a roadrunner or underspin with something dark. I used a chartreuse head roadrunner with a black BGBS and caught some in those conditions. Also make sure to keep bait soaked in sauce. I always seem to do best when lure is freshly sauced. I almost think smell is the most important thing. With those tips you’ve covered about everything you can do to be heard, seen and smelled. Hopefully they come to taste!

I’ve also heard use large baits and go slooooooow.
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If water is heavy stained (not chocolate coco dark) l would used a RR spinner with black and chartreuse curly tail with curly tail turned downward and tipped with minnow in cold water temperatures fished slowly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdean View Post
    Well I had an opportunity to get out of the house today, that's what I had to work with, and did what I could. And my way of thinking, I can't catch nothing sitting on the couch, or in front of my desk...but thank you for the reply CP
    No disrespect intended, JD .... all of the lakes I normally fish are flooded, muddy, and trashy ... and the water temps are still in the 40's. Not an ideal situation for me, either. I've spent the last 4 months "sitting on the couch, or in front of my desk", so I know what you mean.

I've always "heard" to use larger baits, darker baits, maybe even add live bait, added scent, and fish verrrry sloooow when facing those conditions. Then I watch videos like the Crappie Monster video (on my home lake, same conditions you describe) and I see them catching Crappie on bright colored jigs. SO, now what am I supposed to think ??

The only two conclusions I can come up with are : you can't catch'em if you don't go & you have to find'em before you can catch'em. Of course, those conclusions are valid just about "any time or water condition".
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would bet on the colors giving the most contrast to the water. Neon pinks, chartreuse, and gold. There should be water with slight degrees of muddy. Seek the least muddy and use the mentioned colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Thank you everyone for the replies. The water was sort of a light chocolate color...When I dropped my lure down to check on depth visibility, I lost site of it inches into the water, where on previous trips it was visible down to around six feet. It ( the impoundment ) , is one of many in the area that supplies water to the city, and because, I am told, because of it's small size, around 5 acres, there are no boats, or water craft allowed in the water at all, so bank fishing only. They have built two piers for fishing that goes out to where the depth at the end of the pier is 12'. As far as structure goes, I know of none. other than the pillars for the piers.
    There are some trees extending into the water, but will require some enginuity to trim the other limbs and trees so one can fish them. But this is the closest place to the house to fish on those days I get the urge to fish in the afternoons and don't want to travel too far.
    Thanks everyone again. Eric.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast