Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How crappie think

Post Thanks / Like

Default How crappie think

I fish bridges here in Alabama and I've noticed over the years that crappie mainly congregate to one side of the bridge. It's not a particular time of they when the move to say the right side bridge. They are there from sun up to sun down. I can catch a few on the left side but most come from the right. And this is on both ends of the bridge.

Anyone got possible reason for this phenomenon?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    Anyone got possible reason for this phenomenon?

Likes INDyak, mighty, NwLa sacalait, Techno2000 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Top secret....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Is the right side the South side? Meaning more sun exposure and warmer water temps this time a year?

Post Thanks / Like

Water temp!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INDyak View Post
    Is the right side the South side? Meaning more sun exposure and warmer water temps this time a year?
    or, is the right side the downstream side? (Warmer or out of the current)

Post Thanks / Like

There is something on one end that attracts them, might be shade, lack of current, more food, closer to deep water, etc.

I've noticed it too. In the fall, one end of a local bridge will be on fire. The other end may give up a few fish, but nothing of any quantity.

My theory, the "good" end is over the old river channel, it provides cover and food while they're on the way to their winter haunts. Early on they will be shallower, and gradually move deeper until early November, after that they leave the area completely.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been fishing a bridge for over a decade that the crappie will be on the north side of the bridge.....which is the river channel side......and while I may catch them in the middle I never catch them on the south side of the bridge which runs into a huge spawning bay. When I first fished this bridge in the winter I had the same thoughts about the water being warmer on the south side...and it is....but no crappie there. For whatever the reason they prefer the north side of the bridge in winter.....fall....spring and summer.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    I’ve been fishing a bridge for over a decade that the crappie will be on the north side of the bridge.....which is the river channel side......and while I may catch them in the middle I never catch them on the south side of the bridge which runs into a huge spawning bay. When I first fished this bridge in the winter I had the same thoughts about the water being warmer on the south side...and it is....but no crappie there. For whatever the reason they prefer the north side of the bridge in winter.....fall....spring and summer.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Ah yes !

Should it be,
    think like a compass and go for magnetic north

billygee

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Could it be possible that there's cover on both "right sides" of the bridge pillars ??

I've always caught Crappie on the down current end, and the inside of pillars closest to the channel (some even coming off the underside of the cross beam between pillars). But, that's been my limited experience with bridge pillars, as I've only fished one bridge (on a lake in Tenn) and haven't fished it in the last 10yrs or so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast