Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Live scope vs long lining and pulling cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Live scope vs long lining and pulling cranks

There has been a lot of hype about the live scope, I've watched videos of it in action and don't see where it would be helpful if your main technique is trolling, long lining or pulling cranks. I would think SI or 360 would serve trolling fisherman better locating moving fish to adjust the trolling patterns. Don't get me wrong I think the technology is awesome, but it seems to be more specific to the spider rigging and pushing methods of fishing. Would like some feed back, I'm looking at upgrading and have to make the budget go as far as possible.

Have a great day,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Would the field of view be wide enough to see all baits while spider rigging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Spider rigging w/LiveScope

YouTube
    Likes Roy LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I think its use would be far superior to 2d, DI, SI, or 360 ... for letting you know what was several yards ahead of you. Its forward looking range is far greater than 2d, DI, or SI, and the screen image would be more easily interpreted than the 360 image.

Now, I'm saying all that with only limited knowledge and a limited amount of viewing of the video ads. But, even so, it would seem to be very useful in ALL trolling methods (SR, LL, P/P) by simply being able to know what was ahead of you as far as cover obstacles, depth, so as to avoid running all your lures into them. Being able to see a school of fish in open water, well ahead of the boat, and possibly being able to identify the species & size of those fish, would also be a plus factor by allowing you to run your lures at the proper depth and direction ... or avoid the school all together, should they happen to be a specie you really don't want your lures to encounter.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That video was very informative, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The Livescope beam is very narrow. Several tournament fishermen are using TWO Livescope units mounted beside each other to scan a wider area.

To answer the OP, I’ve looked at the Livescope and Panoptics and don’t see where it would help me when longlining or pulling cranks. Rickie and others agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All,
    I appreciate the feed back so far, I was looking at putting an upgrade in the front, I have a Helix 9 mega with SI DI GPS at the wheel, I find I can stay with the fish watching the side scan, see brush with the DI and follow the contour with the GPS, I cant do that with the old 597 on the front now. Down the road I want to upgrade the trolling motor so I can connect it to the Helix and put it in auto pilot following a depth/contour I choose, I have a ways to go to have the green for that upgrade. Next I'll upgrade my rods with auto hook sets and auto reels. Then all I have to do is count how many are in the boat LOL.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M R Dux View Post
    The Livescope beam is very narrow. Several tournament fishermen are using TWO Livescope units mounted beside each other to scan a wider area.
    I was wondering what the next upgrades might be, in addition to a clearer picture a double or triple wide beams will get a few years worth of upgrades for the new models.