Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: April Cumberland river

Post Thanks / Like

Default April Cumberland river

Anyone have any advice on late april fishing on the Cumberland river near Dover tenn. I'm from ohio and I'm headed down there april 24th to take my mom on a crappie trip. Not looking for your honey hole just looking for suggestions on post spawn crappie fishing on the river, assuming spawn will be late March early april. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never fished that far south toward the Dover bridge. There are alot of backwater areas off the river. You should be close to summer pool by then. Stake beds if you can find them, laydowns are in most creeks.Lots of submerged brush, stumps if you know where to look. Dyers creek, Blue creek and coming north Bards is good and Fox are great choices. Also if the lake level is good along with water temp you have miles of Buck brush in Bards or Crooked creek . these are hot when conditions are right. Crappie should be shallow by then . I fish 90 percent with hair jigs or roadrunners . Any color jig is good as long as its chartruese and black. I have fished there 30 years and love it! Good luck
    Likes TRACKER 165 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

TAZ, I appreciate you. I've never hair jigged. Mostly roadrunners, tube jigs, live bait(minnows) and small crank baits. I'll be loading up on some hair jigs and adding that to the arsenal. I'm also going to bring up the maps and see if I can find the creeks you have mentioned. I know it's a beautiful area down. Thank you alot for responding and giving me some great tips. Good luck on the water

Post Thanks / Like

The back of Bear creek is also good . This area will stay clear if the lake gets muddy. Lots of Buck brush there also.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is bear creek located

Post Thanks / Like

It is north of Dover probably a couple miles. You will see Bards on the map and Bear creek is part of that but the southern most part . These are all off the main river channel . There is a southern cut in from the main lake but is easy to miss and very shallow at winter pool ( don't ask how I know that!) the other way in is between some islands about a quarter mile farther north. It is shallow going in . Good luck! These are all on the western side heading north from Dover.

Post Thanks / Like

I found it on the map. Looks like there quite a few like channels up through there. I cant thank you enough for giving me this info. You have been a wealth of information for me. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.