Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slab Buster vs Crappie Ringer vs Bobby Garland for LOZ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slab Buster vs Crappie Ringer vs Bobby Garland for LOZ

Hello,

I have just recently found this great forum and first off want to thank everyone for all the great posts. There are some great gems in here for someone just getting started.

My question is, I will be up fishing at LOZ on 4/17 & 4/18 and I would greatly appreciate any advice on which of these jigs (Slab Buster, Crappie Ringer, and Bobby Garland) and what color combos would you recommend? I have never used any of these, but from the comments on this forum, they sound like must haves.

I have had decent luck using BPS red tube jigs with white tail and the watermelon colored curly tail jigs in my past trips, but if I can up my game using one of these other jigs that would be great.

I am open to opinions on this and would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Also, I would like to know what weight jig heads one would recommend and what is the best way to fish these?

I have only been fishing for crappie the last couple of years and really feel I am still a beginner at this. Any help is welcomed. My in-laws just bought a home in Camdenton and I can forsee a lot more crappie fishing at LOZ.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

4WardMotion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4WardMotion
    Hello,

I have just recently found this great forum and first off want to thank everyone for all the great posts. There are some great gems in here for someone just getting started.

My question is, I will be up fishing at LOZ on 4/17 & 4/18 and I would greatly appreciate any advice on which of these jigs (Slab Buster, Crappie Ringer, and Bobby Garland) and what color combos would you recommend? I have never used any of these, but from the comments on this forum, they sound like must haves.

I have had decent luck using BPS red tube jigs with white tail and the watermelon colored curly tail jigs in my past trips, but if I can up my game using one of these other jigs that would be great.

I am open to opinions on this and would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Also, I would like to know what weight jig heads one would recommend and what is the best way to fish these?

I have only been fishing for crappie the last couple of years and really feel I am still a beginner at this. Any help is welcomed. My in-laws just bought a home in Camdenton and I can forsee a lot more crappie fishing at LOZ.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

4WardMotion
    All those baits work great but there are alot more out there that work well too....Kalin grubs,Charlie Brewer sliders,panfish assassins,Yum beavertails,roadrunners,maribou jigs,all those baits you mentioned and just about any other type of crappie baits work on loz the trick to it is finding something that you have confidence in,start with basic colors of blue,red andwhite,red,black,white and char,greys or silver like tennessee shad in the kalins and you'll be able to find what they want on just about any trip.From the looks of the forecast next week they should start moving back shallow for the spawn i think i would start with an action bait like Bobby Garland swimming minnow,sliders,roadrunners or kalins on 1/16 oz jigheads around docks,laydowns and brush in 12' of water or shallower....good luck and keep us posted.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Last April I used a hot pink jig head with a white and charteuse Booby Garland (looked like slab busters), and a charteuse head with a Kalin triple grub and murdered em. Hey Bugs I'm going to need to get some new tubes besides some slab busters, what you think I should go with. Solid body or hollow, and what brand?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome 4WardMotion glad to have you I agree one needs a variety to lures to fish I have been doing this crappie fishing for 40 years and I try to learn something new every time out. on a new lake I am lost my dad taught me to look for the oldest person on the lake and watch them and how and what they do that helps on a new lake if the old fishermen are out if not this is the best spot a lot of bull but good advice all arround. black/chartruse is a staple on any lake my favorite color red head, blue body, white tale caught more crappie on that color than any other. good luck and go fish

.the beagle man

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome!

You're going to love fishing for crappie at LOZ. As others have stated, black and chartreuse is a staple. I had great luck a couple of weekends ago (when it was warm) with white and chartreuse, though. My most common baits are SlabBusters and Southern Pro tubes. I almost always tip with a chartreuse nibble or use the bait pump to inject 'em.

As far as jig heads, I don't know if any of you guys have tried the Hoop's Special jig head from Cottonmouth Lures (www.cottonmouthlures.com). It has a unique shape that really helps hold the jig level in the water. As far as color goes, I'm always torn between chartreuse and orange but the Hoop's Special has chart/orange combo that is the best of both worlds for me. Check 'em out (and no I don't work for them or even know them).

I'll be heading down on the 26th and fishing through the 29th at LOZ. Welcome, good luck and have fun 4Ward.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiencali
    Last April I used a hot pink jig head with a white and charteuse Booby Garland (looked like slab busters), and a charteuse head with a Kalin triple grub and murdered em. Hey Bugs I'm going to need to get some new tubes besides some slab busters, what you think I should go with. Solid body or hollow, and what brand?
    Tube jigs are easy...mid south are the best i have ever used (thanks slabhunter) and when used with the bait pump make a deadly combination....i'm just starting to use crappie ringers and for solid body jigs the quality seems to be there and the price cant be beat,i use Bobby Garland products,assassins,sliders and kalins a bunch as well but i'm kind of a junkie when it comes to tackle i'll try anything once these are some that have proven themselves over the years.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

LOZ, Do you tie a hoop knot to help the cottonmuth jig stay horizontal? I checked the website, they look good.

UT
    UT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ut

I've switched to braid (Cabelas Ripcord SI hi-vis 10/2) so I'm tying them with a palomar. In the case of the Hoops Special, I've found that it's more the weighting of the jig head itself that's keeping the jig level as opposed to the knot. They are great jig heads. I just ordered 16 more of the chart/orange combo last week and will be bringing them with me to LOZ next week. The hooks on them are good too -- they're sharp but they have just enough bend to be pulled out of snags. Good luck.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You All

Thanks Guys,

This is great information. I can't wait to put some of this to the test. What areas should I look to fish next week while I am up there (docks, shoreline, 8 to 12 feet)? I am going out with my brother-in-law and a friend and I think we will be somewhere around Hwy Y out of Eldon. Any advice or input would be great.

One other question, what line does everybody like using? Right now I have Hi-Vis 4lb line on my spinning rod. Is that a good line to go with or would a braided or Low-Vis line be better. I saw Wally Marshall at BPS last year and I know he really promotes the Hi-Vis, but I would like to get some other opinions out there.

Thanks again for all the help and I can't wait to get up there and give it go.

Make it a Great Day,

4WardMotion

Post Thanks / Like

Default One more question

I just thought about another question I wanted to ask. What size grubs do you all like fishing (1", 2", etc...)?

Thanks,

4WardMotion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast