Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Recommendations

I need to change out my cranking and T/M batteries. I have no idea what brand or cranking amps, any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a little low on cash in pocket last winter (just gotta love direct deposit ) and needed a cranking battery so I dropped by Advanc Auto and picked up a small, cheap marine cranking battery for my 'lil 50. Hadnt had a minute's problem YET.

I dont troll much but do night fish alot and I use two of the biggest Walmart yellow marine batteries hooked in parallel to run all my lights with and am well pleased. Nary a problem for the past 2 & 1/2 years so far. I guess the best trolling battery I ever owned came from Bass Pro (with their name on it). Spent almost a hundred on it back in '97, which was alot back then compared to cheaper marine batteries, but that dang battery lasted 7 years and it was solely for trolling. If they werent so far away that is what I'd own now (if they still carry that same one).
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For TM's I like the group 30 Delco Voyager.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Over the last 25 years I have had great luck with many of the different brands Except one. I have owned 3 Trojan batteries and have had problems with all 3 .
    I have talked with other people who weren't happy with them also.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the cash[which I don't] I've heard the Optima batteries are good, however I use the Bass Pro brand which I've had good luck with.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    For TM's I like the group 30 Delco Voyager.
    Agree, just put 2 TM's Delco's in my boat a few months ago and am very happy.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Optimas

I run 3 optima deeps in my boat and they have lasted a long time. I cant even tell you how many years. They best part is they are totally sealed, never a drop of acid leaking to worry about. They are very expensive though. I ran across a place back east that had them about $40-60 less than everyone else. You might try googling "optimal batteries sale" or best price. I have been thinking about adding another one this year just in case. The provide more power per size and also are heavier per size. Other than that, diehard gold is know as a good battery and Im sure ther are some other decent normal auto batteries. I just bought a bosch as they were cheaper and had just as good of a warranty.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robbor
    I run 3 optima deeps in my boat and they have lasted a long time. I cant even tell you how many years. They best part is they are totally sealed, never a drop of acid leaking to worry about. They are very expensive though. I ran across a place back east that had them about $40-60 less than everyone else. You might try googling "optimal batteries sale" or best price. I have been thinking about adding another one this year just in case. The provide more power per size and also are heavier per size. Other than that, diehard gold is know as a good battery and Im sure ther are some other decent normal auto batteries. I just bought a bosch as they were cheaper and had just as good of a warranty.
    I would have to agree. If you dont mind spending the money, go with optima. If you need something a little less expensive, Diehards are great. Have also had good luck with the with the delcos