Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Catching Threadfins For Crappie Bait?!?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Catching Threadfins For Crappie Bait?!?

Has anybody been successful catching and using threadfin shad for bait in place of minnows when night fishing? If so, how do you hook 'em on the hook to keep 'em alive morem than a minute or two. Finally, is it really that much better than minnows making it worth the trouble? Curious to know :o .......
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

get a bait dealers net... get ready with it then cut your fishing lights after the shad have schooled around the light. Those shad will get disoriented and flutter on top of the water.. Just make a big S in the water with net and you have 100s. keep the water moving in your bucket to keep them longer but dead ones work great too.
    Cut the lights back on right away. even while you are scooping them up... In an instant the shad are back and the fish still bite... I get plenty of bites before the light is back on... I guess when the shad go nuts the crappie have to get em..

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smitty, is there a better place to hook the shad to keep 'em alive longer?!?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

i use the eye.. works for me!
    When the fry are around your lights try this... i put a regular minnow net,
    the .99 cent kind, on a 3' --1/4" dowel. you can skim the little rascals up easy. I put them on a #4 hook in the eye. i just drop it down slow and get a fish before it settles. If not I I lift my rod a foot or two and lower it slowly again... I have sat beside people using minnows catching nothing while I reeled in one after another.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Bowman ...

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Has anybody been successful catching and using threadfin shad for bait in place of minnows when night fishing? If so, how do you hook 'em on the hook to keep 'em alive morem than a minute or two. Finally, is it really that much better than minnows making it worth the trouble? Curious to know :o .......
    I've used a cast net to catch Shad ... even bought a 1/4" mesh one, so I could catch the little ones (<2"). My Grandparents, and their fishing friends, used to catch Shad, and Crappie fish with them. If the Shad died, or was too big, they'd cut them in half and use heads or tails :p .... and when using the "cut" ones, they'd just lift/drop their rods every now & then, to give the bait a little "action".
    Most of the time, that I've used them, I just hook them thru the eye socket (like I do a regular minnow).
    Keeping them alive, until you use them, is the biggest problem with Shad. You need a circular shaped tank/bucket, good circulation & aeration, and some "keep alive" chemicals (if you want to keep them alive for any length of time).
    Threadfin Shad are less hardy than a Gizzard Shad, but either one can be a better bait than a minnow, at times. Only "other" baitfish species, that I know of, that "can be" better than a Shad ... is a Brook Silverside. But, catching them is a little more involved, than dipping Shad from under your nightstalking lights

...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an umbrella net to try. I've caught some crappie with pretty good sized shad in their mouths, so I wanted to give some a try. Let us know if you try it gabowman. I'm glad you brought it up.