PDA

View Full Version : best type of minnows

matt1991
02-26-2019, 05:38 PM
what do you think crappie like to hit the most?

only ones iv seen are fatheads golden shiners arnt they usually the ones most baitshops carry

CrappiePappy
02-26-2019, 07:53 PM
what do you think crappie like to hit the most?

only ones iv seen are fatheads golden shiners arnt they usually the ones most baitshops carry

First and foremost .... Shad (Gizzard, Threadfin, Hickory) & even Alewifes & Blueback Herring (depending on your location)

Baitshop "minnows" ... Fathead, Bluntnose, Creek Chub, Shiners, Rosy Red Fathead

But, I personally think the Silverside minnows are better than baitshop minnows, just much harder to catch :biggrin

matt1991
02-26-2019, 08:49 PM
First and foremost .... Shad (Gizzard, Threadfin, Hickory) & even Alewifes & Blueback Herring (depending on your location)

Baitshop "minnows" ... Fathead, Bluntnose, Creek Chub, Shiners, Rosy Red Fathead

But, I personally think the Silverside minnows are better than baitshop minnows, just much harder to catch :biggrin

i have a cast net 6 foot but its so hard to catch small shad small enough to catch crappie smallest i get are atleast 3 inches

Erin Brewer
02-26-2019, 09:00 PM
With a cast net you need the small 1/4 size net not the standard 3/8 mesh... makes all the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

CrappiePappy
02-27-2019, 01:17 AM
With a cast net you need the small 1/4 size net not the standard 3/8 mesh... makes all the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Correct !! That's exactly why I have both sizes. 3/8" mesh I used to catch Shad for Hybrid Stripers, then bought the 1/4" mesh to catch Shad for Crappie. But, I wouldn't count out the larger Shad for Crappie, either. When I can catch a 6" Crappie on a crankbait, a 3" Shad don't stand a chance against a keeper Crappie.

And the Shad don't even have to be alive :yikes .... I remember my Grandparent's fishing buddies catching Shad & cutting them in half, then just set out their poles and flick the lines every now & then (to add some movement to the Shad halves). I've personally used dead Silversides, cut in half, fished under a float during the spawn & caught Crappie on them. I've tried the cut Shad before, but all I caught was Channel Cats. :biggrin

matt1991
02-27-2019, 01:35 AM
ahh your right didnt think of that now wondering if i should waste my money buying one now atm the spillway is very high so dont think ill catch any bait tossing it into the walls hen the waters rushing this fast

BuckeyeFishing
02-27-2019, 09:04 AM
We have shad, creek chubs, black nose dace, and various shiners in our creeks around here. I don't buy store bought minnows, they are lazyrotfl. I either trap or cast net my minnows and always take an assortment of sizes. Shad and the shiners have to be caught in the cast net, I have a 3/8" mono net and a 1/4" nylon net that I use depending on the size I am looking for and depth I am throwing.