Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: best type of minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default best type of minnows

what do you think crappie like to hit the most?

only ones iv seen are fatheads golden shiners arnt they usually the ones most baitshops carry

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt1991 View Post
    what do you think crappie like to hit the most?

only ones iv seen are fatheads golden shiners arnt they usually the ones most baitshops carry
    First and foremost .... Shad (Gizzard, Threadfin, Hickory) & even Alewifes & Blueback Herring (depending on your location)

Baitshop "minnows" ... Fathead, Bluntnose, Creek Chub, Shiners, Rosy Red Fathead

But, I personally think the Silverside minnows are better than baitshop minnows, just much harder to catch
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    First and foremost .... Shad (Gizzard, Threadfin, Hickory) & even Alewifes & Blueback Herring (depending on your location)

Baitshop "minnows" ... Fathead, Bluntnose, Creek Chub, Shiners, Rosy Red Fathead

But, I personally think the Silverside minnows are better than baitshop minnows, just much harder to catch

i have a cast net 6 foot but its so hard to catch small shad small enough to catch crappie smallest i get are atleast 3 inches

Post Thanks / Like

With a cast net you need the small 1/4 size net not the standard 3/8 mesh... makes all the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Brewer View Post
    With a cast net you need the small 1/4 size net not the standard 3/8 mesh... makes all the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Correct !! That's exactly why I have both sizes. 3/8" mesh I used to catch Shad for Hybrid Stripers, then bought the 1/4" mesh to catch Shad for Crappie. But, I wouldn't count out the larger Shad for Crappie, either. When I can catch a 6" Crappie on a crankbait, a 3" Shad don't stand a chance against a keeper Crappie.

And the Shad don't even have to be alive .... I remember my Grandparent's fishing buddies catching Shad & cutting them in half, then just set out their poles and flick the lines every now & then (to add some movement to the Shad halves). I've personally used dead Silversides, cut in half, fished under a float during the spawn & caught Crappie on them. I've tried the cut Shad before, but all I caught was Channel Cats.

Post Thanks / Like

ahh your right didnt think of that now wondering if i should waste my money buying one now atm the spillway is very high so dont think ill catch any bait tossing it into the walls hen the waters rushing this fast

Post Thanks / Like

We have shad, creek chubs, black nose dace, and various shiners in our creeks around here. I don't buy store bought minnows, they are lazy. I either trap or cast net my minnows and always take an assortment of sizes. Shad and the shiners have to be caught in the cast net, I have a 3/8" mono net and a 1/4" nylon net that I use depending on the size I am looking for and depth I am throwing.