HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE EVOLUTION OF A BLACK CRAPPIE PAINTING

Post Thanks / Like

Default THE EVOLUTION OF A BLACK CRAPPIE PAINTING

THE EVOLUTION OF A BLACK CRAPPIE PAINTING - In watercolor, gouache, acrylic paints and colored pencils.

Step 1:
    In this painting I did not sketch out a drawing, but, started by making or "blocking in" what's called the underpainting. The underpainting is typically a monochromatic rough sketch that serves to kinda' "jump-start" the creative process by allowing you to lay out the rough foundation for all of the elements of the painting, as you are seeing it in your mind. I have learned to use an underpainting when painting, and (to me) the difference is very noticeable.

Name:  Evolution of a Crappie Painting.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  133.0 KB

I have found that underpainting allows me to create a contrast statement when I establish (both) the darker and lighter areas of the image as well as the structural elements of the crappie. Another useful function of the underpainting is so that when the painting is done, the base colors seen in this figure will “come through” and can be seen throughout the painting. In this step I used flesh tones mixed with hints burnt sienna and yellow ochre to lay in the rough shape, posture and action values that I wanted to portray in this painting.

Step Two: Since I was satisfied with the overall shape and value "contrast-wise" in step one; I next begin "roughing in" the border lines, details and contrast and laying in some of “local” colors on top of the underpainting like the black and umber tones in the fins, the golden green to the main body and pale white hues in the belly and around the gills and head. "Local color" is the term used to describe the colors as they exist in nature or reality, such as, we know as the colors inherent in the black crappie species.

Name:  Evolution of a Crappie Painting 2.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  132.1 KB

Step Three: Next, I added darker shades and ray lines to the fins and tail; a layer of pink tones in the head or face area; and another layer of pearl essence to the gill area. After these areas dried, I used fine detail brushes and colored pencils to add scales and line details around those areas and also to darken the inside of the mouth to try to give it the shading and three dimensional depth that I thought an open mouth needed. Next, I moved to the underbelly area and tried to give it the roundness and depth that it should have in this area dimensionally by using varying shades of gray colored pencil for a gradient type of shading.

Name:  Evolution of a Crappie Painting 3.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  135.8 KB

Step Four: In this step I added all of the mottling, shading and highlights to the entire fish. Then I added the eye base color (lemon yellow) and added the dark shading and highlights in and around the eye. Then I added to dark pupil portion using ebony black gouache and dropped in the highlights to the eye (once it dried) with the titanium white. I also defined the rays in her fins and tail using detail brushes and colored pencils. I added some more pink and purple to the gills and added lots of highlights using titanium white gouache and to the belly mid back, tail and fins. This is when the painting really begins to "pop" or "take shape".

Name:  Evolution of a Crappie Painting 4.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  157.3 KB

Step Five: In this step I selected a grunge pattern as sort of an abstract background using the colors that I thought would best compliment the colors in the crappie and I dropped in a few pieces of monotone gray vegetation in the foreground. Lastly, I added the fishing line and custom made jig (made by some of the awesome jig-tiers here on the CDC forum) falling into the strike zone.

Name:  Crappie Rising to Strike 540.png
Views: 3466
Size:  546.5 KB

The elapsed time for this painting was about 10 hours spread over the course of one very rainy week... that I'm sure had many of you lookin' for something to do too. I tried to keep this as short as possible, hoping not to bore any of you to death, but I thought at least some of you might enjoy hearing a little more about what goes into the creation process itself.

Please take a moment to let me know what you think of the piece. I love to hear your thoughts and constructive criticisms.

May God Bless You & Yours,
    Wayne
    Last edited by Special K; 02-25-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible. Absolutely love it.
    Thanks Special K thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice
    Set da hook

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie looks 3D and the plants and background are awesome. I would have it appraised and insured. THE EVOLUTION OF A BLACK CRAPPIE PAINTINGTHE EVOLUTION OF A BLACK CRAPPIE PAINTINGTHE EVOLUTION OF A BLACK CRAPPIE PAINTING

Sent from my SM-J337P using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Its awsum....really came alive in step 4...then really popped in step 5. it would be a mess if I tried to do one. You truly have amazing talent. Thanks for shareing how its done.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Now that looks good. I have an art background and know what it takes and you have it. Amazing work my friend.

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Some folks have all the talent,,,,,i can't even draw,a gummy, polky
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

Post Thanks / Like

You're very talented. I like the paintings but I still prefer the pencil sketches.

Post Thanks / Like

You are a very amazing individual. That is awesome!

Sent from my LML212VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing your creation journey. That is awesome and you are definitely gifted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast