HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How many poles do you push crank baits with?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many poles do you push crank baits with?

Hey guys been awhile since I been on here, I am thinking about trying to push crank baits this year. I have a few questions.
    1. how many are you pushing at a time, not interested in pushing and pulling at the same time.

2. Do you scatter them out like spider rigging or push from the side?

3.How sharp can you turn? Would really like to be able to turn like when I’m spider rigging so I can stay on the hot spots. I usually fish with my baits running 12-20’ deep.

4. Do you use same length poles or different lengths?

5. Favorite brand and model poles you like?

6. Is it is to get tangled up with a lot of lines if you catch a catfish, stripe, etc like it is spider rigging?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
    Last edited by "D"; 02-26-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I run them off the front like spider rigging. I use B&M PST 16’ and run 8 rods. It is handy if you have a net man with you. I usually have 3 oz weights on running about 1.5 mph. You can get a tangle sometimes but it is not to bad. You can make turns to stay on fish pretty good.

YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Last edited by Slab; 02-25-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    Likes Billbob, 1187mg LIKED above post
    Thanks "G", Slabprowler thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nate926 View Post
    Hey guys been awhile since I been on here, I am thinking about trying to push crank baits this year. I have a few questions.
    1. how many are you pushing at a time, not interested in pushing and pulling at the same time.

2. Do you scatter them out like spider rigging or push from the side?

3.How sharp can you turn? Would really like to be able to turn like when I’m spider rigging so I can stay on the hot spots. I usually fish with my baits running 12-20’ deep.

4. Do you use same length poles or different lengths?

5. Favorite brand and model poles you like?

6. Is it is to get tangled up with a lot of lines if you catch a catfish, stripe, etc like it is spider rigging?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
    #1 ... usually 4 rods at a time, but I'm just a beginner
    #2 ... angled out the front/side in order to get a spread separation of at least 2ft between lines (4ft is even better)
    #3 ... depends on how much weight is used & how much line is out to reach the right depth (but, sharp turns are asking for trouble)
    #4 ... different lengths to provide separation of lines
    #5 ... I just use brands/lengths I have (10'-14')
    #6 ... it is just as easy to get lines tangled, but the greater length of separation between lines does help

Post Thanks / Like

1. how many are you pushing at a time, not interested in pushing and pulling at the same time. 6

2. Do you scatter them out like spider rigging or push from the side? 3 on R - 3 on L up front like SP Rig.

3.How sharp can you turn? Would really like to be able to turn like when I’m spider rigging so I can stay on the hot spots. I usually fish with my baits running 12-20’ deep. Moderate 60 degree turns.

4. Do you use same length poles or different lengths? Yes.

5. Favorite brand and model poles you like? Southern Crappie Rods 14 ft.

6. Is it is to get tangled up with a lot of lines if you catch a catfish, stripe, etc like it is spider rigging? Yes!!!

This is the way I do it others may be different, hope it helps.
    Likes cva34 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Glen of PICO Lures did a great job on that video......he told me there will be lots more coming,
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Mike1234 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the info guys! After hearing the reply’s I may stick with my long lining cranks this year.

I’ve got a good system set up with two 20’, two 16’, two 12’ and two 8’ bnm pst trolling rods with Diawa line counter reels, and I’m pretty comfortable with the set up.

Main reason is on average day of 20 keeper crappie I will catch 5-10 catfish, hybrids, white bass etc, with them and I hate having to untangle lines from fish.

The way I do it now I rarely get tangled from fish, just gotta make sure I don’t turn two sharp or let my lines out with a strong cross wind.

Attached a few pics of my set up and some of the fish we caught last summer. Can’t wait for warm weather!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Nate926; 02-25-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Likes blueball, "D", S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You can push a lot of different styles of bait too. From any size of crank bait to bladed jigs. I have been known to push a small spoon like a cast master at times

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  2AF84E6E-2E7A-4AF1-811F-656B2A6E48EB.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  194.8 KB Name:  4406B234-D595-4FA6-8BAC-638544FA154A.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  140.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

easy answer, NONE, I don't use cranks
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer