PDA

View Full Version : Hi Vis line choices

Tremble
02-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Thinking of switching from Mr. Crappie hi vis mono. Will be casting 1/32 and 1/16 jigs as well as dock shooting with this line.
Iím considering Gamma Panfish hi vis in 4 lb. as first choice. Secondly, Viscious Panfish in hi vis 4 lb.
Does anyone have any experience with either as to how it performs with spinning gear? Especially interested with experiences with the Gamma.

deathb4disco
02-25-2019, 01:10 PM
I’m considering Gamma Panfish hi vis in 4 lb. as first choice. Secondly, Viscious Panfish in hi vis 4 lb.

I don't have experience with those two, but I would definitely recommend Stren Crappie.

BAFishBarn
02-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Question. What is the advantage go high vis line?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

SuperDave336
02-25-2019, 01:17 PM
You can see it easier. Crappie aren't usually line shy and with the high vis you can see the line jump easier. You might not always feel them.

windstone
02-25-2019, 01:22 PM
I have used vicious 6 and 10 pound from day one and never had a problem. mostly spider riggin...

Dutch552
02-25-2019, 02:00 PM
I use Vicious hi-viz in 6lb with no issues.

SKs Crappie Catching Adventures
02-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Don't over look Slime Line, I've been well pleased with it on my casting rods......

CrappiePappy
02-25-2019, 03:48 PM
I use Vicious hi-viz in 6lb with no issues.

As do I !! When I was using 4lb test for casting/dock shooting, I used Stren Gold .... then switched to Mr Crappie (USA made) hi-viz. Since going up to 6# test in Vicious Panfish Copolymer, I've broken off less often & still get around the same casting/shooting distance as when I was using 4# test.

I made the distinction about the "USA made" Mr Crappie line, because it's now made in Taiwan ... and I have heard a few negative remarks about it. I haven't tried the Taiwan made line, so I can't compare them for myself.

SuperDave336
02-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Another vote for slime line. Good stuff.

Erin Brewer
02-25-2019, 05:17 PM
:hesaid I started using slime line last summer and I really like it.

Tremble
02-25-2019, 05:52 PM
What weight Slime Line are you all using?

SuperDave336
02-25-2019, 06:24 PM
I use 4#

Grizzly Jig Company - Slime Line – High Vis Green (325 YD) (https://www.grizzlyjig.com/p-1092-slime-line-high-vis-green-325-yd.aspx)

Hat55
02-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Bought Stren crappie mono #4 and#6 Hi-Vis Gold 200 yds for $1 at Wallyworld today, never used it before but could not pass up that price

Slabprowler
02-25-2019, 07:47 PM
Been there and done that. Tried several of the more expensive brands ! and want get into bashing them because they could have been an older spools ! But I just throwed away the remaining spools of 3 different supposedly higher end brands of line! And I have went back to buying a fresh roll of mr crappie or vicious! If they are fresh they can’t be beat! :twocentsNo experience with slime line so can’t comment on it!

"G"
02-25-2019, 08:03 PM
I use 10 lb. high vis yellow mono for everything

grizzrider09
02-25-2019, 10:01 PM
I just started using slime line and I can tell you itís def more visible than mr crappie which is what I was using

Grainraiser
02-25-2019, 10:17 PM
I use tangerine orange Sufix in 6lb test when I need a high vis mono line. My second choice would be high vis Pline.

Locator79
02-26-2019, 07:30 AM
When fishing hi vis... I really like suffix tangerine

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

SeaRay
02-26-2019, 07:47 AM
I fish some in a private pond with snags in it plus an occasional 3-5# bass will hit my jig. I tried a spool of 6# HiVis Berkeley Fireline and have been really pleased. I also can cast a good bit further using it. Never was a fan of heavier braid on spinning reels but this stuff is really nice. I used a black magic marker to color the last 2' black ( probably not necessary) and I tie directly to the lure.
I was using 6# high vis suffix before changing.

trypman1
02-26-2019, 10:30 AM
I use Stren Hi viz with no problems, have tried them all and always come back to Stren. I am testing the Kast King copolymer line now, seems to be good so far.

footballcoach
02-26-2019, 02:53 PM
I have tried the cheap stuff and I got what I paid for. Mr. Crappie and crappie max are terrible. Cajun Red is tough but has as much memory as fence wire. I used it mostly for long lining because it was cheap but it is still awful. I have gone back to stren or suffix. and I like them 100 times better than that junk.

silverside
02-26-2019, 03:13 PM
+1 for Sufix. I like the 6# hi-vis yellow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

encribb
02-26-2019, 04:54 PM
Another vote for Slime Line

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Atimm693
02-26-2019, 11:00 PM
Where are you guys getting Slime line? All I can find on eBay is big spools.

barracudadave67
02-26-2019, 11:32 PM
Amazon has it, but it only has two reviews, and they are not good. It's on grizzly baits also. Bote places have 325 yrds, for $ 11.95.

Dave

DHC
02-26-2019, 11:50 PM
I like the PLine CXX.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

deathb4disco
02-27-2019, 12:27 AM
I like the PLine CXX.

That's another good one.

barracudadave67
02-27-2019, 12:42 AM
I just Ordered some Trilene XL green in 6,8,,and 10, from Cabelas. Being a newbie I hope thats not a mistake.
Waiting for the wheather to warm up here in Wisconsin
Dave

SuperDave336
02-27-2019, 04:20 AM
Where are you guys getting Slime line? All I can find on eBay is big spools.

Grizzly Jig Company - Slime Line – High Vis Green (325 YD) (https://www.grizzlyjig.com/p-1092-slime-line-high-vis-green-325-yd.aspx)

vfourmax
02-27-2019, 12:07 PM
Actually like anything else these days I wonder how many of these different brands of lines actually are made in the same factories and the labels changed for the "different brands" and the colors may be just a dye change in the line.

I do know that years ago I worked for a company that made a popular higher priced National brand "sandwich bags" and we also ran several private label brands as well. I can say for a fact the only difference in the private brand in this product was a removal of some dye colors and the retail box they were packaged in. Otherwise the product was identical in specs and the private label product sold for about 1/2 the cost of the National branded product.

With all the different smaller brands of "specialty" fishing line being marketed it would surprise me if a fair number of those were not the same product with different labels or packaging.

I am sure that the machinery cost to produce and run these fishing lines is not inexpensive so having a factory making multiple branded items would seem logical. Same goes with fishing reels, rods, lawn mowers whatever, most private branded stuff is contracted out.

I know that say years ago a Sears Craftsmen generator was just a Generac with Craftsman decals as another example. I bet a lot of these fishing lines we compare are the same things as well when it comes to non national types of brands other than Berkley or Stren and the likes.

silverside
02-27-2019, 01:32 PM
I just Ordered some Trilene XL green in 6,8,,and 10, from Cabelas. Being a newbie I hope thats not a mistake.
Waiting for the wheather to warm up here in Wisconsin
DaveTrilene xl is a great time tested line. You will not be sorry. I used it for 30 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

frayed knot
03-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Go with the Gamma PanFish. It has very little memory and has great breaking strength. If you look on their website you will see that 4 lb. has a break strength of 8.5, 6 lb. is 13, and 8 is 15.

DHC
03-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Go with the Gamma PanFish. It has very little memory and has great breaking strength. If you look on their website you will see that 4 lb. has a break strength of 8.5, 6 lb. is 13, and 8 is 15.

Does Gamma offer a hi-vis version?

chaunc
03-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Gamma is good. So is viscous.

Shmang
03-02-2019, 11:55 PM
I used Gamma line today for the first time and it cast great with little memory. On a cold windy day it performed very well. I have the Hi Vis yellow 4 LB and fishing with it for 6 hours had zero issues. I have Trilene XL for years and that was a solid line too.

Good luck

Tremble
03-21-2019, 05:49 PM
Update: I ordered Gamma Panfish line today in 4 lb. Iíll post my experience in a couple weeks

Kevin22
03-21-2019, 06:22 PM
I've been using 6lb hi-viz braid for casting jigs for a while and I like it, its not good around structure though.. one little nick from a doc screw and its done.

For hi-viz mono, I've been using crappie maxx from bass pro lately. Its decent. Nothing great at all, but its pretty limp and real strong. For high end hi-viz line, i've used trilene sensation orange (really expensive), trilene xl solar (good but hard to find), stren gold (good basic line), sufix elite in the yellow (too much stretch) and sufix siege in orange (too stiff).

I haven't really found my favorite yet. Going to try slime next I think.

Someone asked the advantage to hi-viz line... you can see your line walking sideways or jump (twitch) when a fish eats it long before you will feel it in a lot of cases. Helps you set the hook and get him turned your way before he can turn and go down around a dock pole or tree branch.

chaunc
03-21-2019, 06:43 PM
I use hi vis because these old eyes can see it much better. Doesnít bother the fish so Iím glad of that.

hawgdog
03-21-2019, 07:38 PM
I have always used Stren when dock shooting. Also wanting to go to High Vis instead of the clear, I purchased 2 different Stren high vis gold off the internet. That stuff was junk. I sure wish I could find it locally and a good spool to test it out. Never had a problem from the clear 6lb clear stren.

Might try the Gamma now

Thanks for all the reviews

DHC
03-21-2019, 09:53 PM
I've been using 6lb hi-viz braid for casting jigs for a while and I like it, its not good around structure though.. one little nick from a doc screw and its done.

For hi-viz mono, I've been using crappie maxx from bass pro lately. Its decent. Nothing great at all, but its pretty limp and real strong. For high end hi-viz line, i've used trilene sensation orange (really expensive), trilene xl solar (good but hard to find), stren gold (good basic line), sufix elite in the yellow (too much stretch) and sufix siege in orange (too stiff).

I haven't really found my favorite yet. Going to try slime next I think.

Someone asked the advantage to hi-viz line... you can see your line walking sideways or jump (twitch) when a fish eats it long before you will feel it in a lot of cases. Helps you set the hook and get him turned your way before he can turn and go down around a dock pole or tree branch.

Give P-Line CXX a try. Iíve been very happy with it so far.

Grainraiser
03-21-2019, 10:14 PM
I use hi vis because these old eyes can see it much better. Doesnít bother the fish so Iím glad of that.

One lesson a old guy taught me is that you will miss half your bites if you only set the hook when the rod tip moves. I fish alot of bridge pilings and half the time your line simply moves sideways. The rod tip never moves even a tiny bit. Watching your line will increase your success.

Kevin22
03-21-2019, 10:17 PM
One lesson a old guy taught me is that you will miss half your bites if you only set the hook when the rod tip moves. I fish alot of bridge pilings and half the time your line simply moves sideways. The rod tip never moves even a tiny bit. Watching your line will increase your success.

Same thing fishing docks, often your line will just start walking sideways as the fish is swimming with your bait towards you at an angle! Or on light strikes, you see the line getting tight before you feel the fish on there, that is really important when fishing 1/64-1/24 jigs and you have that slight bow in your line.

Hanr3
03-23-2019, 09:30 PM
I once tried hi-vis line and hated it. It was too bright for me. I prefer low vis green line. I prefer Trilene XL line.
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley-line-monofilament-berkley-trilene/trilene-xl/1285555.html#start=2

db50ky
03-26-2019, 10:43 AM
I really like the vicious panfish mono...typically 6 lb. Mostly cast when I fish until the y get really deep then one pole. I like Vicious way better than stren or Mr. Crappie. Less memory....less problems.

Fishn buddy
03-26-2019, 01:02 PM
Don't over look Slime Line, I've been well pleased with it on my casting rods......

Do you think it is easier to see than the Viscious, if you have any experience with that? We are having trouble seeing it lately...

Tremble
05-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Iíve fished with the Gamma Panfish Hi Vis 4 lb. several trips now. Primarily casting 1/16 jigs with a 6 1/2 foot Ozark rod. Iím very impressed! No wind knots casting into the wind. Low line memory and twists. Very good break strength; Iíve straightened several light wire hooks when snagged. I definitely like it better than Mr. Crappie and Crappie Max.

cva34
05-01-2019, 07:41 PM
So true!

Curlytail
05-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Nothing but gamma or slimline for me !

Sent from my SM-G892A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)