Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outsourcing Jig Sales

Post Thanks / Like

Default Outsourcing Jig Sales

There seems to be many anglers on this board who make and sell their own jigs. But there doesn't seem to be a single place that has brought all you customizers and specialty producers together for buying and selling.

Bottomline - I have an website and can set up a page with pics and prices for all you custom jig makers. People can come to the site and purchase using Paypal. I'll email you the order, etc. Basically, you're the vendors and I'll maintain your virtual storefont. Question: Has Teezur got their site set up yet? Richard, have you set up a site to sell your rods?

Perhaps, Ed would like to do this for a cut to help cover some of the cost of this great website and message board. There are so many large websites that sell crappie tackle but don't cater to the smaller operations.

Just a thought. Let me know what you think and if there are enough interested we can form the coalition. Lots of details to work out but I believe it's doable.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'll hit first since I'm probably the newest fish in the jig pond.
    It is a good idea, but I see two (fairly major) problems:
    1) When jigs are "custom made", the options are unlimited. So the picture base you will end up with would be absolutely huge. If you were to get a collection of manufacturers together, people would get lost looking at everything.
    2) You set different people's work side by side - someone's is going to stand out, and that can cause problems. I was on the positive side of that once, and felt terrible because of it. I want no part of putting someone else's craft down.
    I believe each one of us has a specialty to share, and coming together in one spot should be a situational thing, not a standing "flea market" if you will.

There is a common respect that I see on this board, one that had me worried when I first ask Ed for permission to put my stuff up. Each one of the "major" makers could go picture to picture with each other over who has the "better" jig - but they don't. Each one will post pictures to use as examples for a discussion, call it a plug if you will, but not to undermine. I fully anticipated getting resistance for being here, but just the opposite has happened. That says something for the members of the board as well as the previous jig makers here.

Maybe I'm not making sense with this.(?) I like the idea, I think it would be a good one time thing - but not a constant link. Each company has -or- will have their own site, and can get someone to it if they are looking for something particular.
    Me........I'll take word of mouth right now, with a few pics here and again of new work.

Barry Guest

Maybe what could be done is a central site to show off products with information on how to order directly from source. From what I see there are several similar jig makers that most appear to be fine craftsmanship. Some I like some I don't but on the other hand I'm not going to knock those that i don't like they are probably the ones that catch more fish...LOL

Have to tell about years ago I did make some bass rods and a business associate wanted a long crappie pole. As a joke I went to Walmart and bought a cheap 3 piece bamboo pole, a Zebco 202 and put some guides on it and gave it to him. He always said that pole caught more fish than any of his others. Moral appearances are not everything.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see a place for people to sell there products to people on crappie.com. I would like to sell some of my jigs, just a hobby to keep me busy when I cant get out on the water. And I know I would like to buy some from others.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 2 cents

First of all I think the concept is a good one, however it would be hard to put it all together in such a way that it wouldn't become competitive, hurt somebody's feelings, or worse yet stifle someone's creativity and willingness to share their own creations or opinions.

I'll echo the words Big Zig used, the "common respect" we all have for each other on this board it truly unique and amazing in my opinion. What makes this board work is everybody's input, no matter the skill level or experience, we all feel free to ask questions or give our honest opinions. It would be a shame if we lost anybody's input for any reason. (By the way, Big Zig, s-w-e-e-t jigs!)

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE to show off my jigs to anybody that will look, and I am just as proud of them as each and every one of you that has ever tied your own. Again, like Big Zig said the good thing is that we can each show off our goodies once in a while, but most importantly we can also share honest praise for the other guys creations too!

From what I have seen, we all make our jigs a little bit different, and they all appeal to different people for different reasons. The best thing of all is that nobody feels like they have to say one is better than the other, or put anybody down, or worst of all talk about somebody's jigs being "ugly." (Talk about really hurting a guy! ha ha..)

Like I said, I think this is a good concept, I just don't know if "our forum" would be the best place to launch or host this venture. Those of you who know me know that I'll do what I can to help promote our sport!

Now, for all those who don't know me yet, new and old jig makers alike..... If I can help you get set up to sell your jigs or products on the Internet, or help promote your products with a link from my own web site etc. just drop me a line. I'm always happy to help "the good cause" when ever I can. (That goes for you other guides on this board too, I don't know if it has helped but I have referred clients to a couple of you guys, for when they head towards your areas)

Best fishes everybody,

Mike
    I may have a "Crappie" job, but you should see my office!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Barry and TAE73 for your input. I will make a page or section on my website for any tackle maker who wants to trade links. Email me your logo and url and I'll get it on there. Also, if there is anyone out there who does not have a website and would like to be present on the internet, email me a picture or two of your work or of a logo (whatever) and your contact information so buyers can call in orders direct to you and I'll put you on my website. [email protected]
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

TAE73 -Just a warning from a friend. If you start selling jigs, you may want to check with the Federal regulations regarding sales of fishing equipment. You will have an excise tax (10%)to deal with (the hooks are what fall into this category). Running under the tax radar is done by many people, but to go on a public board and avoid it is flirting with disaster, IMHO.
    It would be a real bummer to be made accountable for something that is just a hobby.
    I don't want to talk you out of the idea, just want to remind you what is involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Big, I did not know that there was a 10% tax on fishing tackle. I do have a question about the taxes. If I am already paying taxes on the hooks, then I shouldnt have to pay taxes on them again nor should the people that I sell them to. Is that correct? I do know if i made more than 500 bucks I would have to report it as income on my tax form.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike - I'd like to do a trade with you sometime this summer. (I'm too swamped to do anything right now). If you're interested, that is. I figured we could get a hands on look at each others stuff, then the ideas would really start piling up.

Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas guys, and great feedback. I've been planning on placing a dedicated page online for guides. I could do something similar for jig manufacturers. So just like discussed, it does not have to be fancy, I could even rotate who's on top the list to try to keep things fair. And it does not have to involve commision on sales. Perhaps a minor listing fee to help support the board, that's all. OK, like Darryl, I'll probably put something together shortly.

So while I'm working on it, any other topics. Jigs Manufacturers, Guide Services.....
    The only other thing, I probably don't want to list competitors to the sponsors, as I need to really support the sponsors. But Jigs and Guides works. Anything else in the way of a listing service I could add.
    BTW, I'm kinda doing this idea with the Resort Listings already. And those paid for Resort listings get listed on Crappie.com, my Salmonoid.com site and Big-Fish.com site too. So this can certainly help provide some good exposure too.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast