Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where do crappie go in rising and flowing water?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do crappie go in rising and flowing water?

So, with all the water here in TN the fishing is at a standstill. But I was talking with a buddy this morning and he asked, "where do they go?"

I primarily fish a reservoir that opens gates when it rains. I fished last week and the current was so bad that my 3/4oz weights were higher than 45* and I was spot locked. Didn't catch a fish.

Where do they go? I would guess into coves and bays with no creek or no flow. Ya'll's input is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do crappie go in rising and flowing water?

I’ve read in really muddy water they go to the bank for more oxygen, clearer water or tight to cover. In current they would find a break in the current like an eddy behind a bridge piling. I imagine a bridge piling would offer warmer water since it holds heat, has a shady side, has a current break, and enough height so they can go up and down if they want.
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

They will be below those TVA Dams that are spilling all that water. Seems contradicting but fish by the thousands stack up there during events like this....crappie included. Of course you can’t put a boat in below them right now but if I lived closer to Pickwick I would be on the lock side fishing from the rocks. When I lived there I would fish events like this all the time. It is very productive. Of course the water over by the lock is protected. I’ll be fishing next week below Nickajack in the protected bay and the dead lock. Fish will be in there thick as thieves....of course not only will crappie be there but everything else too.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

on the main lake if its moving along they will likely be right behind some form of cover on the down current side .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales